NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Daytime boredom help??

My wife and I just purchased a 4month old African Grey from a reputable breeder in our area. We brought him home 4 days ago. We both work during the day...should we leave a radio on for him while we are gone? Does that help with boredom? We have purchased a bunch of toys for him to play with during the day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. "Wyatt" would also like any help!:)

Hello Jshendrix and welcome to the family, we are so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Wyatt.

Yes by all means leave a radio on during the time you are gone, that is what I do for my fids, I have a grey and a sun conure. Also provide your baby with some foraging toys to help keep him occupied and busy.

Is this your first grey, first parrot?

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We love pictures here so if you have some of Wyatt you would share with us please do so.

Hi jshendrix, congratulations on your new baby Wyatt. Having toys is great for our greys especially if some are foraging toys to keep them busy and they have to work some to earn a treat. I too either leave on the radio or tv for my fids when I am away. Welcome to the Grey family. Can't wait to see some pictures of Wyatt and hear more about him.

Thank you all so much for the warm invite. Your helpful insight is greatly appreciated. This is our first Grey...I had a yellow-naped amazon when I was growing up...was my father's bird. We are happy to have a bird of our own now. I will post more photos as I learn how to navigate the site. Until then, I was able to post a picture of Wyatt on our profile.

Jason & Sarah

Excellent idea...my wife is heading to the store to do some more shopping for Wyatt. I suggested a small toy box to put all his goodies in. I like the idea of papers and tissue! He is such a joy to havearound the house...even though he considers everything to be his!

Tank you again,

Jason

Funny you say that...I tried that yesterday when I got home from work...he really didn't seem too hungry at dinner time...quite possibly I had gave him too much seed and veggies in the morning and he just ate his fill...anyway, I started eating some of his peanuts and he started begging for them...just like a little kid! Didn't want one when I offered it initially...had to wait until he saw me eating mine! Good thing I bought aout 20 lbs of them! Now we both make a mess and through our peanuts on the floor!

Like I have said before, monkey see monkey do.

Opps, are the peanuts you are giving the ones with the shell on? If so you may want to rethink that as they can sometimes harbor a fungus that could be potentially lethal to your grey. I only feed human grade shelled peanuts with no added salt to my fids.