NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Francois & Andorra my pare of retired breeder grey

babygirl

I finally have added my two much sought after retired greys to my family. They are Francois and Andorra. We renamed them. (they were referred to as set 2 by the last owner). :angry: People should at least give them names.

We got them off of kijiji.com from a woman who used to breed greys, quakers, and amazons. She is in the process of selling off all of her breeding "stock" as she calls them and we just happened to get the last two. Francois and Andorra have not produced fertile eggs for her in years, so nobody wanted them, but we sure did! The woman wants to do some traveling before moving into an assisted living center (which doesn't allow parrots), so she was eager to get rid of Francois and Andorra (set 2). We got quite a deal being that they are not tame.

We bought a big cage for them and they are in our finished basement in the greatroom at the moment. The aviary is only in the beginning stages, but the plan is to just roll the cage out to the aviary for daytime sunlight and fresh air and then roll them back to spend their nights in the greatroom.

As far as their history: we know that they we are their fifth (and hopefully last) home. The woman we bought them from bought them from another person who bred them (she said in filthy birdmill conditions) and apparantly he had got them from another couple who bred them for a while, so on and so on.

They are at least 25 years old and we are happy to have them as our new family members. We will consider them to be our pets even though we might not ever be able to actually pet them. ;)

They are so adorable - cuddled next to each other sleeping after their busy, stressful night of traveling two hours to their new "forever" home.

We just found out that they love pine nuts. It was our lure to get them to venture into their new cage.

Congrats on your new pair babygirl! I think you are doing a wonderful thing giving these birds a loving home as pets and not breeders. You sound very caring and I bet you will do a great job. I hope to see some pictures of Francois and Andorra soon and hear more about them as you get to know them. ;)

Congratulations on finding a pair of breeders in need of a good and final home.

It's wonderful of you to do this. The description you give of the living conditions they will have with all the TLC you have to give them. Should provide the best home they have had their entire lives with a much larger cage than a breeders cage.

Please post photos and videos when you get a chance and keep us updated onthem.

What a wonderful story.

Karma to you for taking them in unconditionally!! :-)

I am so pleased you found your retired breeders.I am sure you will give them the retirement they need.If they love the pine nuts use it to your advantage and give only to lure them into situations you may need in the future.Good luck.