NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Biting

hill

Hi all i have had buster 2 days now he as started talking when we go out the room and letting me stroke his foot and he put his head down to let me stroke for a few seconds but then trys to bite really nasty bites is there any thing else i can do

Hi Hill - You are doing all you can - just little bits at a time. He needs to trust you and by bowing his head and letting you touch him for a moment is an accomplishment in itself! It's not a quick process - time and patience is of the essence! What about offering him a treat when he lets you stroke him?

His taking it and throwing it, is telling you it is not what he wants at the time. :-) They are very smart. It does not necessarily mean he does not like that particular treat though.

Try different things like, almonds, shelled peanuts, pine nuts, apple, grape etc. Also, he may know the name for those items, so say the name of the treat you are giving him. He will soon be asking for his favorites.

You and the Grey are both making good progress for only 2 days. Just take it real slow and easy. You are gaining his trust, try to observe his body language closely so you can start learning when he is uncomfortable or possible going to bite and avoid it. :-)

The do like hot food like chilies. Most seed and nut mixes have them if designed specifically for Greys. There are also "Spicy" pellets by different manufacturers. You can even by fresh peppers like Jalapenos at the store and cut them up for them.

It's necessary to always leave a bird almost alone in the beginning so that he can get used to things that are new to him. You're new to him. Everything else is new to him. His cage and toys are new to him. Quite a bit of talking to him is necessary. Many greys talk after everyone has left the room. It has nothing to do with friendliness. Let him show a genuine interest in starting to explore things in the cage and eventually outside of the cage. You'll eventually be something that will attract him. If you have other people living there, have them do the same thing. Put his cage in the middle of what's going on all the time so he can see what the habits of the house are. It isn't necessary to give special foods in order to learn how to adjust to the new place he lives in. AS others have said2 days isnm't enough time to make judgements on anything. The whole process will takke at least a couple of weeks, not days.

Well last night after spending some time with buster he will let me stroke his head while he is in the cage.But then tried it again this morning and he is putting his head down to let let me stroke him but then will try to bite me ,plus will talk and sing while i am in the room now really happy with the two day how much he as come on cannot wight till he will stop biting altogether :)

hill wrote:

cannot wight till he will stop biting altogether :)

That day will never come.

There will always be a bite here and there as they communicate that they do not wish to do what it is your wanting them to. :-)

Thanks for a nice update.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! I'm a new grey owner, in fact I haven't even brought Earl home yet, as he is still being weaned, but have been spending 1-3 hours with him every day for the past 6 weeks. Obviously he's too young for biting to be an issue at the moment, but some comments I've read on this site have caused me some worry. Is it really true that every Grey bites, as indicated by Dan? I understand that this is a totally different kind of parrot, but having cared for an eclectus for 9 years without ever being bitten, this news is something of a shock to me.

One clarification. I've already fallen in love with Earl, and if biting is going to happen I will do my best to adjust. Anyway I was just re-reading this and JillyBeanz post actually gave me some hope, as I expect that Harvey could potentially do a heck of lot more than leave "impressions". particularly to a finger. Is it fair to say that when they bite they typically aren't doing so to there full potential?

"Biting" has many meanings. A "proper" bite is when they draw blood. This has happened to me on a couple of occasions - but this is when Harvey has been in a foul mood. Harvey used his beak all of the time. You actually learn the body language of your grey and learn when to stay away if they are going to bite you.

They use their beaks to balance and sometimes Harvey will lean forward and dig in slightly too hard - but you learn to live with these - they aren't real bites.

One example would be now - the post man has just been and Harvey's chewing the envelope. I'll not try to take it from him!!

Good luck with your baby - there are loads of interesting posts on this site which will help you make a stable and exciting environment for him/her. ;)

The potential for biting is always there if you have any parrot.

If I use my Emma as a reference, I think biting can be avoided once your grey trusts you and you have learnt how to read his body language. Learning body language takes time and effort. It doesn't happen coincidentally and it doesn't happen overnight either.

2 days of knowing each other is very very little time. I would give it a few months. Right now I think you should just spend alot of time simply hanging out with him and talking to him. Do this without obliging or pushing him to do anything he is not comfortable with. Observe his body language and respect it.<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/09/13 03:20