NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Humane Society and parrots

babygirl

Breeding pairs do not make good pets. The thing you need to realize if you get a pair of breeder birds is that you will not be able to handle the birds. If you get near a breeding pair during breeding season the male will most likely attack you viciously.

There are lots of birds out there that need to be rehomed. Not sure why you are fixated on a breeding pair unless you want to breed them.<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/08/16 15:21

My husband would go crazy if I bred them. He is totally against breeding any kind of animal except if it is a food source. He is really the one who has pushed for the retired breeding grey pare and I respect that. He intends to build them an avairy where they can live out their remaining years free from the pressures of "breeding for the profit of another" as he likes to say it. :dry:

I have come to realize that my future birds will more than likely not be able to be handled and I have come to terms with that. I have enough to handle as it is.

My enjoyment will come in just watching them enjoy their lives. I realize that most parrots for the most part are really only handleable in the beginning, but as they get older they tend to have hormonal issues and thus the reason for the constant rehoming that goes on. So eventually most parrots will end up being more independent and perhaps more bitey as time goes on. Of course, most sellers of parrots are negligent in passing this fact on to prospective buyers because they have their bottom line to consider, but not to fear more people are willing to take on untamed parrots and appreciate them for what they are (longlived, sensitive creatures with strong beaks) and not for what they want them to be (forever cuddly babies).<br><br>Post edited by: babygirl, at: 2009/08/16 15:35

Yes parrots can become less like cuddle bunnies as they get older(not always the case)but when I got my grey I was not after a lap pet,I respect my grey as a bird first and formost,he is 6-7 years old now and still very tame and on the whole a very well behaved parrot,he can be a swine at times though.We still enjoy our head scritches and cuddles but they are very much on his terms and I respect his wishes to be left or have interaction,its his choice. I admire what you wish to do for a retired breeding couple and wish you luck.

Babygirl,

Would you stop the pair from breeding or do breeding pairs eventually say "no more kids !!!" and stop by themselves. For such long lived animals, at what age do Greys stop breeding?

Otherwise how would you stop them? Alternatively would you simply let them carry on and allow them to raise their own chicks without the trauma of them having their babies stolen from them all the time?

I do endorse your wish to give these otherwise exploited birds a peaceful and loving retirement. I rather agree with your husbands sentiment.:) B)

Steve n Misty

I was wondering how you were going to stop this pair breeding too! You talk of keeping them together, etc etc, but if the urge is there, the urge is there.

Can't say I agree with your husband about his views on breeding and the food source - I bought Harvey from a breeder (as probably did 90% of this forum) and I am also a vegetarian!! ;)

Babygirl

On 8/12/09 I took the time to fully explain all about pairs of breeder birds and now I feel my explanation was a total waste of time. I told you they were not adoptable but I guess you refused to believe me. I told you that areas that adopt out neglected birds that needed rehoming won't adopt out breeders. I told you about breeder's personalities. I told you what happens when they no longer breed. I told you how carefully adoption centers screen people before adopting out needy birds that only need rehoming. Those birds were pets at one time. I told you what would happen if you had a breeding pair of birds in your possession. I told you about their serious aggression. I told you that there was a major difference between breeders and neglected pet birds which are really the ones that need rehoming. I told you what a person has to go through if they owned breeder pairs of birds. I told you how careful adoption centers are when adopting out neglected birds. Adoption centers will charge a person money to take the birds. It's similar to buying a young bird except that the price is lower. Some parrot shelters make up contracts have to be signed allowing the adoption centers to come to the new owner's house approx every 6 mts for approx 1 yr to check out how the birds are doing. In their contract, it states that they have a right to take the birds back if there's problems.

Now you speak of humane societies. Humane societies adopt out domestic animals that are in need of new homes. That means 4 legged animals such as dogs and cats. Humane societies don't hire people simply because they have no experience in handling wild animals such as parrots. They also don't have the facilities for parrots in their centers. Humane societies are overloaded with 4 legged animals that need homes.

The only place to get neglected, former pet parrots are in avian rescue/adoption centers. They don't adopt out breeder birds that were never pets in the first place. They don't adopt out 4 legged creatures, just birds.

At one time all of these avian adoption/rescue centers didn't exist. They were slowly built and the expense was high. They're now located in many places and the price of taking care of all these birds is high and it's what causes them to charge money for the birds.

What I don't understand is why you want to ignore neglected birds that need homes as opposed to breeders that really don't care where they live. Breeders personalities won't change. Neglected bird's personalities will change and most people get great satisfaction in giving neglected birds another chance to have a secure, safe place to live again no matter what problems they have??

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/08/16 20:43<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/08/16 22:26

Babygirl: Dave is an experienced breeder and has pet Greys also. He knows what he's talking about. He also has an extensive knowledge and experience of parrot behavior and rescue.

Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/08/16 22:11<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/08/16 22:14

Thanks Dave and Char for suggestions.

I am content knowing that I will not be handling my untamed greys. I can deal with that.

They have lots of retired breeding greys and other parrots for sale on kijiji.com so I will probably adopt a pare from there.

I just found it weird that the humane society won't even accept parrots into their shelters stating that parrots don't make good pets.

Don't worry Dave I will not be searching rescues for a retired pare. It is not where I get them that matters. It is just that that is what my husband and I have decided on.

Instead I will adopt from a private individual who has them up for sale.