NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

screaming

betsyboop

hi everybody not happy hear got an amazon called charlie and a grey called Sparky and the prbolem is screaming charlie has taught sparky how to scream and its terrible do anybody know any tips on how to stop it or charlie to stop it its earache stuff its terrible,he screams when my husband and i are not in the room with him and when i leave him with my husband so i do have a problem:ohmy: what can i do help :pinch:

Since greys are such good mimics they will pick up any sound they like to repeat over and over again, my grey will mimic my sun conure and I have to look to see which one it really is.

There is not a lot you can do to stop it, if this amazon loves to scream then he will scream and your grey will chime in along with him. Maybe Sparky wants to be with you and when you leave the room he calls for you.

You are just going to have to ignore it especially from Charlie for if you give him a reaction to it them he will take that as encouragement to continue it. You may have to resort to some good earplugs for the time being but maybe some of the other members will have some more acceptable solutions for you.

When I first re-homed my Eclectus he would scream/shriek very loud and I would just talk to him. In the morning he would scream and I would sing to him. I think he just wanted to know that he wasn't alone. He now only screams when he wants the lights off in the bird room so he can go to sleep or if he wants me to come get him out of his cage. His screaming only happens when he wants or needs something and he is not shy about expressing his desires. The key is to find out what your fid needs or wants and how to best accomplish it so everyone is happy. Good luck.

As Judy said, ignoring and not responding at all to those screams is the best way to stop them. If a different and more agreeable sound is made, respond to it. They learn behavior based up responses. Only respond to things you like, such as a more tolerable chirp as a contact call.