NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How do I pick?

jessdecutie18

So I'm about to be purchasing a baby Timneh African Grey... now what do we name him!? My husband and I are computer and gaming nerds, so we wanted something nerdy. I've heard that naming birds with the 'y' afterwards makes it easier for them to say their name... is that true? Like Lucky, Tommy, Lily, etc... it's hard thinking of nerdy names with the 'y' ending though. What do you think? Any list of name sites you like? Thanks!

I don't think thats true at all. My moms grey's name is Slater and he can say it perfectly. My grey's name is Ecko and his very first word was his name, Ecko, he says it great now. So their names don't end in "y" and they can still say it easily. Choose the name you like because you will be calling him/her that for the next 50+ years. Here is a site for pet names. http://www.funpetnames.com/

Never heard names with "Y's" are easier for them to pick up. Greys can vocalize anything. In my experience, they seldom use their own name. Our's does say his, but rarely.

I am not certain of a "Techy Name Site". Their are of course several name sites for male, female and of course African names that you can ready the meaning of translated.

Good luck in your quest for a name. :-)

I've never heard that about greys but I think there is not much they can't say as they can copy just about any word or phrase they hear if they want to. I don't think I have ever heard Josey say her name.

It does seem that two syllable words are easier for them to say than one that has more so you might keep that in mind when you think of a suitable name.

Well, I am in Information Technology by prefession and for hobbies i play quite a few computer games.

My two TAGs are named after some of the dragons in the "Eragon" (Actually it is caled the Inheritance Cycle) series.

I have my female and her name is Saphira and I have my male that is Thorn.

Sallas wrote:

Well, I am in Information Technology by prefession and for hobbies i play quite a few computer games.

My two TAGs are named after some of the dragons in the "Eragon" (Actually it is caled the Inheritance Cycle) series.

That's cool :) I really liked the first book :P

OK....

Just from my realm of software and hardware engineering....

Delphi

Java

Perl

Solaris

COBOL

FORTRAN

C# - C-Sharp

Pascal

Coder

Quantum

Static

Script

Dynamic

Bits

Bytes

Ascii - Asky

Pixel

Port

CPU

Diode

Buffer

OpAmp

Transistor

Nand

And

Xor

EEProm

Giga

Mega

Milli

Pico

Henry - As in millihenry...Not King Henry ;-)

Joules

OHM

Amp(s)

Watt(s)

Current

O'Scope

Spectrometer

Multimeter

Pulser

Photocell

Potentiometer

Sonography

Transducer

CMOS - Sea Moss ;-)

Ok, thats enough for know.........<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/08/12 21:53

Gosh, Dan, that was the list I was just about to publish - you clearly just have quicker typing fingers than me!!! :P (this is clearly a huge lie!!)

I have absolutely NO idea of what any of the aforementioned mean, or possibly how to pronounce any of them, but I do like Solaris. Doesn't sound very geeky or computery at all! :)

I have been crying laughing tho - potentiometer! Imagine taking that bird down to the park for flying lessons! Here potentiometer.......! :lol:

WOW! What a list Dan!

I wouldn't be concerned that they won't be able to say their names. My first grey, Talon refused to say her name for the first 2 years, now BOTH my greys say their names all the time, in fact, they say each others names, their own names, my dog's name, and my new kitten whose name is Dominic, and both birds can say it clear as day! B)

Dan forgot a couple:

Pentium

Hyperthreading

Front Bus

Disk

CD

Monitor

Mouse

Keyboard

wireless

DVI

Video

input

output

cpu

gig

kilobyte

megabyte

gigabyte

terabyte

printer

scanner

pointy thing

cursor

browser

window

mac

dell

gateway

hp

ibm

and the ever popular...

"throw the damn thing out the window"

Sorry Dan, I couldn't resist. Half of that list I couldn't even pronouce.

--

Robin<br><br>Post edited by: rbpittman, at: 2009/08/13 16:31

Sallas wrote:

Dan, I think you may be dating yourself with a couple of those, like "COBOL".....:laugh: Why don't you throw RPG in there if we are including the ancient languages..:P Just teasing ya Dan.:evil:

LOL!!

I was.... errr.... a wee lad of 6 when the programming instructor covered COBOL...just for Historical purposes. As was our hardware class on Transistor theory, back when it was still a can with 3 legs....:whistle: :P