NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

To those people . . .

skmunson

You all know the people I mean. The people who made [insert facial expression] shocked or disgusted faces when they heard you were getting a bird.

The people who feel compelled to express their [insert ridiculous opinion] opinion that birds are "dirty" or "mean."

The people who love to tell [insert make believe story] stories about a friend of a friend who had a bird and it crawled out of its cage one night and ate the baby.

To those people, I love to say--now when they ask with [insert annoying facial expression] with all-knowing derision on their faces "how's the bird?"-- I love to say: "He is absolutely awesome. I love him. He loves me. He is the sweetest baby ever and I am so happy I made him part of my life."

[insert stupid facial expression] And now to their shocked or disppointed faces, I can say, "Put that in your mind-your-own-business pipe and smoke it."

But don't smoke around my bird or I'll kill you.;)

Me too Julie, and my hubby is one of them, he still doesn't quite understand how I feel about my fids, he tells me from time to time, you have bird (expletive) poop on your back, well so what I tell him, it all comes out in the wash, even the kids say I don't want no (expletive) poop in my food!! Sometimes I wish it was only me and my birds, everyone else can take a hike!

We have the same experiences. I feel sorry for them. Dayo is so funny. Those people really miss out.

It does take a special person to appreciate the birds though. Every day at lunchtime I would go out to the picnic tables for the employees and watch all the Blue Jays play and care for their young. Even they are so comical. The other employees out there would appear annoied at them. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the people.

Birds do understand us in their own way. Greys are the best companion because they appear to communicate with us. Sometimes I think they are.

Well, Dayo wants my attention, so he has put himself right in front of my monitor. I had to laugh at him. When I looked down, he was looking right at me with his eyes as if to say, "Can you see me now!"

Gotta love these Greys. We understand, that's really all that matters. Not what other people think.

I feel what ur saying. When those kind of people would come over and see my five parakeets (now all deceased :( ) flying around I would just shrug off their ugliness by showing them the door. :ohmy:

i am sure i will get a lot of sarcastic remarks when I get my untamed retired breeder grays who will lunge at them when they dare to approach their cage. B)

If it is too much for them to handle then they should spend their time elsewhere.<br><br>Post edited by: babygirl, at: 2009/08/12 06:15

Oh boy do I know what thats like 2 of kids call me the crazy bird lady the other 3 love them as much as I do. When those 2 come over they see all the birds on playstands there are one or two in each room there are bongs.atoms,swings, globes and bird toys everywhere and news paper under each one and the look on there faces when they see this and maybe some chewed up wood on the floor or some seeds from the kicking the out of their dishes that I haven't swept up yet. The next comment is Mom you live in a giant bird cage. I just shrug my shoulders. Then they always seem to call me at 9am when I am just getting the birds uncovered and they want their breakfast and of course like all birds theyare very vocal when the first wake up so they are trying to talked to me and the birds are greeting the day. Next thing out of there mouths can't you shut those stupid birds up I can't hear myself think how can you stand that. So I tell them if the called me at 11am instead of first thing in the morning they would be doing this. then I usually say I have to go and feed the birds and say good bye. They will never ever understand the awesomeness of these wonderful of all companions. and I for one will not try to explain it to them because they don't want to hear. My husband that I no longer live with also does not see what I see in my birds. I no longer live with him. I had a bird when I met him 30 years ago and there has always been at least 1 usually 2 birds in our home. They where always smaller birds when the kids where growing up.That was fine with him now i have 6 large bird thats not fine with him so I showed him the door he's still can't get over that I chose my birds over him LOL

judygram wrote:

Me too Julie, and my hubby is one of them, he still doesn't quite understand how I feel about my fids, he tells me from time to time, you have bird (expletive) poop on your back, well so what I tell him, it all comes out in the wash, even the kids say I don't want no (expletive) poop in my food!! Sometimes I wish it was only me and my birds, everyone else can take a hike!

A agree Judy. Now that I live alone I can finally have the kind of life I want. If I want to walk around with bird poop on my shirt who cares. It is just me and the birds. They are the best companions possible.

My oldest daughter, Sarah, moved out in February - she didn't like the noise that George and Gracie made (the lovebirds, now just George) but it wasn't near her room so it wasn't a big deal.

Since then we have acquired Dixie (CAG) and Sterling (U2). Dixie talks up a storm, Sterling does his usual morning call of the flock and evening call of bedtime.

Sarah just moved back home, mostly due to stupidity, but some because of the economy (she's 20). Sarah sits there with her fingers in her ears when Sterling calls, she complains that Dixie won't shut up (she really doesn't and I can't find the on/off switch) and George has decided to become more vocal to keep up.

Our solution - learn to love the birds and their beautiful voices or find some place else to live. They make messes with their food just like she did when she was little, they make noise just like she did when she was little, they are a joy to be around just like she was when she was little. Quite your complaining so you can be a joy to be around now...lol. She's still here and learning to understand and enjoy the birds.

People who don't understand have never opened themselves up to the beauty of these creatures. They don't realize the intelligence or the joy of watching our fids grow and develop. I find it their loss, and I feel sorry for them. Bird poo on a shoulder is no different than a baby's spitup, it just doesn't smell as bad.

--

Robin

rbpittman wrote:

People who don't understand have never opened themselves up to the beauty of these creatures. They don't realize the intelligence or the joy of watching our fids grow and develop. I find it their loss, and I feel sorry for them. Bird poo on a shoulder is no different than a baby's spitup, it just doesn't smell as bad.

--

Robin

Right on Robin, my hubby is always commenting that I have bird poop on my shirt, he is probably afraid some of it will end up in his dinner:pinch: never has but it doesn't bother me at all, it all comes out in the wash and I have other shirts I can put on. I would much rather have bird poop on me than a baby's spitup for it doesn't smell at all.

He will never understand and I have given up trying to make him understand but if you accept me you got to accept my birds, they don't come separate.

wow.. how did i miss this one!! i thought i was alone.. when i decided to get an african grey my wife was totally against it.. my in laws who love pets where deliberately supporting her.. i had to finally show them it was my house and i decide who lived here.. till the day i brought chikki home i wasnt sure how it would be..

but once i brought him home some criticisms have died down.. and when chikki flew off, i am sure i heard a few peoples' minds chuckle at me.. but now that i got him back, and they all think its a miracle, he has become the God sent bird :).. my wife is a lot more supporting these days.. either she likes him or she has learnt to endure him.. and my in laws are absolutely in love with him.. but she still cant tolerate him pooping at different places.. think she will slowly tolerate that as well.. but as you say, it does need something special to be able to love animals as we do!!

thanks for starting this post.. finally i poured it all out!!

I totally understand what you all mean. Every time I mentioned to co-workers or friends that I have a bird, the first question is always "Why did you get a bird?" And they would have this you-are-a-freak kind of tone and look on them. I feel really annoyed and almost offended when asked that question. These days I just responded with "so why did you get a dog/cat?" to that question. It's the same love and companionship that anyone seek in pets; I just have my interests in Greys B)

Those people are the kind of people that come over once and make their few snide comments, but then seem to vanish into thin air :lol:

I do give them fair warning, but when they are made aware that the birds (and dogs) are treated as family members and "those people" still continue to speak of them in a less than tender tone then I just direct them to the fact that the door is there for a reason and it would be in their best interest to use it and they needs to use it fast because a woman only has so much patience for only so much foolishness. :evil:

babygirl wrote:

Those people are the kind of people that come over once and make their few snide comments, but then seem to vanish into thin air :lol:

I do give them fair warning, but when they are made aware that the birds (and dogs) are treated as family members and "those people" still continue to speak of them in a less than tender tone then I just direct them to the fact that the door is there for a reason and it would be in their best interest to use it and they needs to use it fast because a woman only has so much patience for only so much foolishness. :evil:

iagree.gif

iagree.gif

Gosh, I'm glad I don't have all of your friends! Mine are all very interested in Harvey and enjoy seeing him acting the way he does. Parrot's aren't as common as pets in the UK as in some other countries - so round here Harvey is a bit of a phenomenon!

Everyone is interested in him - especially when we have him out - and only the other day I was offered this man's three children in trade for him!!!! :laugh:

I'll let you know when I meet someone as awful as some of you lot know ;)