NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about sizes and sexes

ecodweeb

Hi Everyone,

So, I'm at a loss here. I have a known female (I was told she has laid an egg before by the previous caregiver), but she drawfs my male. I have not had the male DNA sexed, but I know two DNA sexed males and he tries to "spar" with them and puffs up -- acting as, what the books I've read through suggest -- a male. He isn't intimidated by her, and she isn't intimidated by him, but they've not been able to get near each other -- and won't for a while. The closest I've allowed them is in the same room on different backs of furniture. They can see, and sometimes talk to each other (whistles), but that's it. I'm very cautious about their interactions.

But why is this known girl so much bigger?! I found a page (link: http://www.petbirdpage.com/breed.asp?breed=grey) that says that there are actually up to three types of "Congo" greys, the Camaroon, the Ghana, and the "normal" Congo -- the Camaroon is 20% bigger than the standard grey, this fits Miss Talula's profile. The Ghana is supposedly a condo the size of a Timneh, which I've never seen one in person, but looking at the feet Talula's are much larger than Phoenix's.

I've attached a photo of Talula (age 8, she's the one without feathers, yes, she's a plucker... it's going on day 2 and she's stopped shredding what is left of her feathers, so I think we're on the right track) and Phoenix (he's a good little guy, he's about 17).

Thanks!

KC

2009-08-08%2B23.26.35-763726.jpg

Talula

2009-05-15%2018.02.40.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: kcfoxie, at: 2009/08/10 14:52

KC, why don't you contact avianbiotech.com and have Phoenix dna tested and then you will know for sure. They are both very nice looking greys. I hope Taluha stops plucking. Karma to you for taking in an older grey. Oh, have you introduced yourself in the Welcome Room so everyone can get to know you and say hi?<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2009/08/10 18:48

I will do that right now!

I am looking at their site, I am comfortable enough to clip a toe nail and get the blood, but it would be easier (sadly) to wait for him to break a blood feather again (it happens a lot..), and use that on the sample card.

I may do the same for Talula just to be sure.