NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to introduce mates

Kara

I have a 9 year old female ag and my Aunt recently brought us her male ag who is also 9. I have them in separate cages and I am not sure when it would be safe to try and put them together. I am scared he may hurt her as he is definitly more aggressive than she is. We bought her as a hand-fed baby and I am not really sure about his past other than we cannot hold him. Is there some kind of sign of when we could feel safe letting them interact with eachother?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ok you plan to turn your bird into a breeder? If you want you bird to stay your pet my advice would be to keep them in their own cages.

As far as interacting I have no clue I don't let any of mine out at the same time. To many things can go wrong. JMO and many people have let their birds "play" together. I just don't.

My Aunt has experience with breeding birds and suggested to possibly try to pair these two together. I don't believe however that she ever took two birds (strangers) and tried to pair them up. I am not experienced with this and just want to get some advice. Besides my fear of my female getting hurt, I also don't know if or how it might change her personality of affection towards us.

Ok here is my suggestion set the cages close together for a few days or weeks. See how that goes then maybe open the doors at the same time and see how that goes.

My breeder friend usally just has the cages next to each other for a few months and then the following breeding season like around Feb or March she well just put them together.

With her new macaws she just set up she was able to just put them together and had no issues.

It't different from bird to bird. Just keep an eye on them.

You can expect from fighting and as long as you dont see blood you need to let them work it out. Or they may never fight. Only time well tell.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I really feel I need to educate myself before I even consider this whole breeding thing, especially since the birds are in my home and will be if anything should happen between them. Any suggestions for a book on this topic?

Hi Kara, they may get along and they may not, just don't force anything and it may take a lot of time before you can actually put them together. Of course what do I know, nothing, I have my grey for companionship and not for breeding. Maybe one of the other members has a suggestion for a book about breeding greys for you. Good luck to you and welcome here to our family.:)

Thanks for the welcome to your group Judy. I am just looking around at all the great photos and reading some of the forum topics. You all seem like a great group.

And yes I agree, I definitly will not force them in anyway, shape or form.

Guest Monique

Hi Kara.

Generally you can have a bird as a pet or a breeder but not both. If you turn her into a breeder she will become more wild and she will then be bonded to the male rather than to you. If you are not 100% sold on the breeding than I would not do it. If you are not sure then maybe think about why you want to breed, what your goals are, and write down the Pros & Cons would help you?

If you breed the babies will you be able to hand feed them every few hours for the first 8 weeks? Are you confident you can find them homes? Are you aware that baby bird formula is as expensive as baby people formula (adds up quick!)? Most hobby breeders only break even on the babies - or make just a little bit of money.

I'm not trying to be negative, just sharing some of the things I have learned from others. I have never personally bred a bird.

Good luck in your decision!!!

I think that is probably my biggest fear that she will not be "my baby" anymore and become aggressive with us. She is such a sweetheart and I don't want that to change...she is part of our family. I am glad that I am doing my research and asking the questions before jumping into anything. Thanks Monique.