NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hand Phobia

bijal

Can anyone help me please?

I have a three year old male african grey who is hand reared. He was absolutely fine, used to come on m hand happily but I dont know what happened he has developed a hand phobia. My Dad forced him out few years ago and that triggered him off.

Things have gone so bad that even I go close to his cage he screams and flaps and really freaks out. In return, he keeps breaking his blood feathers so there is blood everywhere.

Has anyone gone through this with their bird! Otherwise, he is a happy little soul, talks, dances, eats and sleeps and even comes out his cage when he wants.

Regards

Bijal

bijal wrote:

My Dad forced him out few years ago and that triggered him off.

What does this mean?

Has your Grey been like this for 2 years now?

He sounds terrified of everyone, from the sounds of your description when someone approaches the cage.

Has he been like this for 2 years since your father "forced him out"?

You did not answer my questions.

Time and patience are the only things that will solve this issue. You must approach the cage in a different way or have someone else do so that your Grey does not damage himself when they approach.

A lot more detailed information will be needed before anyone can really help you with specific answers.

I have had him since a little baby and he used to come onto my hand and absolutely fine.

Since his first new wing feathers grew after his baby ones..The problem started. He is a male and he doesnt like men. My father came along while I was at work and tried to force him out of the cage. since then he has been terrified. Plus I went away for ten days and I left him with Alan Jones for boarding and he got really bad then...Now he just freaks out. I have a Galah cuckatoo which is female and he used to live with her but I have separated them as he seems to be happier in his own cage.

He plays, talks, eats and sleeps really well. Just cant go near him. Even if I am in the room doing something he starts his mating dance but thats it.

I am taking him to Brian Stockdale on Wednesday.

He is 3 and half years old.

Any suggestion?