NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Fact or Myth

wildiesel

Firstly,well done guys, this is an amazing and well put together site and seems like a good community.

My question is regarding the whole idea of our Grey's disliking change to the point where they are adversely affected by it.

We take our bird shopping, walking and out for coffee. His toys are changed on a regular basis as is the basic layout out his "perch". We do not keep him in a cage and give him the run of the house.

My two other Greys had much the same handling and type of enviornment.The only time I saw any signs of stress or discomfort were during times when I could not give them attention they were used to. Having said that there were also times when they needed their own space though this was rare.

So,my thoughts are as follows.Personal experience has led me to see that these birds are not as paranoid about change in their enviornmnet as is generally portrayed. In fact my logic tells me that these birds being as clever as they are change would actually be beneficial to them. Their intelligence is stimulated therefore might they notbeocome less frustated as when living in a static enviornment?

Having said all this please let me state I am not a vet nor a naturalist etc. But I also do not take public opinion as gospel unless supported by logical evidence. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

wildiesel wrote:

So,my thoughts are as follows.Personal experience has led me to see that these birds are not as paranoid about change in their enviornmnet as is generally portrayed. In fact my logic tells me that these birds being as clever as they are change would actually be beneficial to them. Their intelligence is stimulated therefore might they notbeocome less frustated as when living in a static enviornment?

Welcome to the forum! It's GreYt having you here. :-)

I am with you on the thoughts you have expressed and also that "Public Opinion" is all over the place, especially the web.

I think the root of the problem IS "Static Environments" where they are kept and nothing changes for a long time other than toys.

With that said, Greys are a very cautious bird by nature and keeping them in a static environment, I believe magnifies that cautiousness.

Those Greys that are well socialized and introduced to new toys, people etc. at the breeders. Then are also introduced to new items, outdoors ventures etc. by their new owners are also very less likely to be fearful of every change introduced to their environment.

I know a guy that is a construction worker and just walks around with his 17 year old flighted Grey everywhere he goes. He takes that Grey to work, parts depots, stores etc. That Grey will for the most part stay on his shoulder, but at times fly to a nearby tree or other roosting place and just watch and look around. Then return to the owner when he wishes or is called.

The owner did say though, that you can not do this with a younger Grey that has not yet become used to a changing environment, loud noises, surprises etc. He said it was not until 6 years of age that he could trust the Grey was comfortable and reliable to always return. His first outings were in more "Friendly" environments, no loud bangs or scares like very open parks and fields.

I must say though, that some Greys are very reserved and afraid from birth and remain that way for some reason through out their lives. Others are outgoing from birth and always the adventurer and down with anything you wish to bring their way.

My Grey is exposed to change constantly, however any "Strange" looking new items in the way of toys at times will not be touched for a week or two. However, he is still only just over 2 years old and perhaps he will become less fearful, I hope.

This is a GreYt topic and I am sure many replies will be made to this. :-)

Wildiesel, every grey is different. My Ana Grey is a shy bird around other people, but this is also my choice as I do not let other people, except family, touch her. She has full run of my home (stay at home person) except for sleeping and when I am out she is caged. She is fearless when it comes to new things like toys. I do what I believe is right for my grey regardless of what I have read. We all need to watch our companions and do what is right for each, separately, as like people, they are all different. Please introduce yourself in the Welcome Room and tell us a little about yourself and your grey(s).

Harvey is fearless too - There's no flying away when new toys are introduced and he's quite acceptable of new people - although they don't touch him, but can stand very close to him, lean in and talk to him - in our out of his cage. Then again, saying that, Harvey is only 8 months old - so I suppose everything is new to him.

I also agree with luvparrots - I do what I think is right for Harvey, I don't always follow the form. Great post wildiesel - it will bring on such a debate ;)

That's the thing. Birds can be such strong creatures whilst at the same time can be delicate.They are fascinating. Once in the bush I came across an African Eagle Owl trapped in a snare. His wounds had gone septic and it took him a long time to come right. What struck me though was that his recovery period took far longer than it woud have normally done with other typical mammals with similar type of wounds and infection. Despite their differences in physiology. (Unusual to find a bird in a snare, but I have seen these guys run around trying to catch their prey.

Getting back to Greys. My wife did some research over the net to familirise herself with Grey's and I was very sceptical of some of the information. The whole change of enviornment question kept on coming up. This was contrary to my own,albeit somewhat limited, exoerience of Greys.

I have a 6yr and up until she came to live with was quite the scardy cat. Now she excepts thing fairly readily or maybe just trusts me enough that she takes m word for it. when I get her something new I tell her excactly what it is and what its for and then I tell her to be brave that it won't hurt her and that mommy would never give her anything that would hurt her. and usually within an hour or 2 she will check it out. She does love people when new people come into the house she gets very animated and wants them to talk to her. mind you I have seen her shy away from some people but I think she senses somthing with these people that she doesn't like just like dogs now who's good and who's not its the same with birds. That said I think that the more they understand the less fearful they become and I think that its important to teach your bird as much as you can about everything. My baby Grey is still learning and hopefully by the time she is Tyco's age she will be as open to new things and people as Tyco is.