NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Perhaps they are what they eat also?

lovethatgrey

I’m posting this thread because I’m wondering if there may be something to the above statement when it comes to our African greys. First and foremost I would like to make clear that I do not work for Harrison’s Bird Food Company nor am I associated to anyone who works for them. I say this because I remember reading a lot about their pellets before I decided to go ahead and purchase their product. I already knew that they produce an organic product made with premium ingredients and vet recommended, but I also recall reading their pamphlets which claimed that if your parrots started consuming their product they would not only enjoy good health and appearance but also a very noticeable change in behaviour and temperment... blah, blah blah

Example

· More vocal and playful nature

· Decreased biting, yelling, picking

· Increased affection

· Etc………..

I honestly felt that the latter examples were a bunch of huey and really just a marketing ploy.

As mentioned in one of my previous posts.. I have decreased Emma’s Roudybush portion and increased her Harrison’s pellets portion. In all honesty, I have noticed that she is much more gentle and affectionate than she was before and biting has almost been non existant. The other thing that I am amazed about is how much she seems to LOVE eating her Harrison’s pellets and will eat her bowl clean. ( I only put out 1 portion at a time.)

Who knows,maybe it’s all just a coincidence and I am merely getting better at reading my African grey and she is getting the point. Either way, I do feel that Harrison’s pellets have a very good impact on my Emma. I just hope that I will always be able to afford them.:P

Anyways, I just thought I’d put that out there. I wonder about those of you who may have been feeding your parrot another pellet previously and are now feeding Harrison’s.

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/08/08 04:44<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/08/08 04:46

I tried my quaker and my Eclectus on harrisons and they would not touch them, I tried them for 2 weeks and it was a no go ,I was mixing it with Roudybush thats what they usually eat and they would leave the harrisons and eat the Roudybush, haven't tried it on Rudy yet as of now she likes her Roudybush so maybe later I will give it a try on her

Debbie_and_the_fids.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: RudysMom, at: 2009/08/08 05:01

lovethatgrey: I previously fed my grey Zupreem pellets and she ate them pretty well. Although she would eat the Zupreem the amount of wasted food on her cage bottom was too much so I thought to myself maybe she isn't eating them too well. I had heard about Harrison's and all the hype about the food but I was skeptical because I didn't want to spend my money on bird food that was going to end up on the cage floor. After hesitating for a very long time I finally ordered a 1 lb. bag of harrison's high potency coarse, I paid $15. But let me tell you that since I started giving her Harrioson's it has been an instant change exactly like you have noticed. She eats the Harrison's with virtually almost no waste and not only that her apetite for veggies and fruit has opened up as well! Her feather condition and beak has improved somewhat healthier. I have also noticed she is trying to vocalize a lot more often and her energy has skyrocketed. You did mention something else which I think is key "learning to read your grey". I feel that way too and that I can read her now more than before.

I feed Harrisons and I believe the claims do have some truth.I find very little waste, this is helped by feeding small portions and adding more once eaten.Charlie eats his veg and fruit and on the whole is a very good natured bird and to my eyes looks the picture of health.Cracker my tiel also has Harrisons and the same applies to him.

I tried Harrison I really wanted to switch my birds From Zupreem fruity to Harrison's. my birds absolutely refused to eat them they love their Zupreem fruity and my vet said that they are the next best to harrison's so I shouldn't worry My vet carries Harrisons and she still recommends Zupreem which she doesn't carry so as long as my birds continue to eat them they will get Zupreem pellets.

Thanks for your replies guys. Trust - I do agree that Emma seems to enjoy her vegetable even more than before.

Tyco's Mom - I introduced my parrots to the Harrison's Powertreats for about 2 months before introducing the regular pellets. Not sure if that helps but they really LOVE the power treats.

By the way...15$ for 1lb of Harrison's seems very costly. Have you searched for a cheaper place to purchase them? I purchase 1lb for 11$ and 5lbs for about 45$ and I am in Canada.:)<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/08/08 22:02

lovethatgrey: I recently found a local aviary that carries harrison's 1 lb. for $11 and 5 lbs. for $38. The place is called Simbad's Bird House in Miami and they got some nice birds there but the prices are brutal!! In contrast, the bird food and supplies are very reasonably priced. I think they have a 25 lb. bag for $141.

Tycos_mom: If your birds are eating Zupreem well then that's great. I have used Zupreem fruity like forever until now that I switched to Harrison's and my birds have done super well on it. Zupreem has a good variety of formula and their Avian Maintenance line is solid. The breeder I bought Congo from has been breeding birds for 27+ years and all types of birds from canaries and love birds to greys, macaws, and even Indonesian parrots and all he's ever used has been Zupreem!!;)

On a side note, I think I almost got my hands on that African Palm Fruit Extract!!!;) I should be getting the package sometime next week from the UK. Hopefully I won't get ripped off this time around:unsure: .

I can't comment on a change in Josey as she has been eating Harrisons since I brought her home but she is very good natured and never bites me, now whether this has anything to do with her eating Harrisons or not I do not know but she wastes very little of it and she looks pretty healthy to me.