NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chinchilla Sand Bath for AGs

Guest Lidia

Guest Lidia

Yesterday, on the way home, I got a chinchilla sand-bath for Joshua, on a whim. It is a big plastic bottle, with a flat base and a round opening. It is designed to put pumice sand in for chinchillas, but I thought it might be a good thing to put in the bottom of Joshua's cage to put his toys in and it's big enough for him to get into it, if he wants to. Anyone tried anything like this? How'd it work for you?

Guest Monique

I'm not quite sure of what it is. If you can keep him from pooping on it (a problem with items on the ground many times) and he will go play in it (most Greys don't like going to the bottom of their cage) then it should be effective.

Lidia, I have some toys and on the bottom of Talon's play cage. I also fill a heavy bowl with water and put a couple of rubber ducks in there. I have a ladder that goes down to the bottom, and a perch. She will frequently climb down to play and splash in the water. So, depending on your grey, it might work out very well. It's worth a try!! :silly:

I read a book that observed Greys eating dirt/clay and playing in the dirt in the wild. Also when visiting an aviary all their pen floors were plain old dirt and the bottom of the Grey's pen was all swept with a flat Grey foot. Lots of little talon marks everywhere in the ground too. Yet all the other birds just had poop on the bottom of their pens.

I believe the Grey from the aviary was a wild caught, actually most all their birds were wild caught except the tiels and doves.

Guest briansmum

brian's food bowls are right at the bottom of his cage so he has perches down there. he likes to tip all the toys out of his mardi gras bucket on the floor and particuarly likes it if i put a sheet of newspaper on the top of the poo grid for him to shred. he likes to play at the bottom. he does play too, he doesn't just sit there, i'd be worried then