NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Moving to a cold place

SchroedersJen

Hello,

I have a 2 part question, and as I don't need the answer till October, feel free to think a while and get back to me....

There is an excellent chance that my husband and I will be packing up and moving from the southern California coast to Washington this winter (don't ask about the timing, it's complicated) and I'd like suggestions on making sure my birds are as comfy as possible. Aside form the occasional weekend trip to my family's cabin during the winter, they have no experience with snow (and what they have seen is a patch here or there on the ground) or cold. To be honest, aside frmo snowboarding vacations, I don't either. What do those of you that live in cold, snowy places do to keep your fids warm and happy in the winter months? My birds love their outdoor aviary, and I'm anticipating some upset from them not being able to use it year round. Also, I have heard that UV lights arent that effective, is there a better way to get them vitamin d?

Do their diets need to be altered in really cold months to provide more fat?

As for the actual move: Do you think it will be less stressful for them to ride up in the car with all of the stuff with us and be there to unpack, or should I board them (they like their boarding facility and are used to it) and have them shiped up a week later?

Thanks for the help!

Any warm climate is closer to a wild grey's natural habitat then a cold one. They originated from warm climates. I don't really know how cold it is in Washington and I don't really know how humid it is but a grey does well in a warmer climate that also has some humidity. Most people who live in cold snowy places keep their birds in a 67 to 73 degree temp with some humidity available. Outdoor aviaries in the winter are a no no but I don't know what you mean by outdoor aviary. Aviary in a enclosed area that has constant heat but the outside still being seen? Or outdoor aviary where the birds are in the natural surrounding weather area? If it's the latter then you'd have to change to the former.

"""I'm anticipating some upset from them not being able to use it year round."""'

Maybe, but they'll just have to get used to it. Parrots are adaptable and they wouldn't wanna go out into a cold outdoor aviary that has snow and cold weather and if they would be kept in that surroundings, they would get very sick.

""""""Do you think it will be less stressful for them to ride up in the car with all of the stuff with us and be there to unpack, or should I board them (they like their boarding facility and are used to it) and have them shiped up a week later?""""

The ideal way is to have them move with you. It's uncomfortable for them but again, they can adapt to different things. Are they used to being shipped around? Only you know their personalities and their stresses. Plus they're all individual birds. Some may take to it and some may not. Liking their boarding facility has nothing to do with shipping them from the facility unless you've done it before.

I had to make a 1275 mile trip from MO to PA. I had 8 greys and 2 quakers and they all were with me in a small enclosed trailer that I bought for them, their cages, their accessories and other items that had nothing to do with birds. Those other items weren't insured by the moving van company.

""""Do their diets need to be altered in really cold months to provide more fat?"""""

Greys aren't prone to obesity and there aren't different diets fed to parrots because of the state they live in. The only changes that may happen is the availability of other different veggies and other different fruits that would be in your new state. A grey who starts losing obvious amounts of weight is usually a sick bird that needs medical attention.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/08/07 06:12

We live in the snow with our 2 and we keep the house constantly heated in the winter to about 21-23 degrees with central heating. We never ever take them outside in the winter except if it is a quick trip to the vet or something. Then we place a blanket over the cage and have the car parked as close to the house as possible.

I also use the UV light in winter becuase the day hours here are so short.

We also don't vary their diet in the cold months.

Ha Ha Ha! Yes, here in Europe we deal in Celcius! There'd be no point in dealing in Farenheit - we'd never reach anything above 50! Karma to you talon for giving me a giggle - it's terrible in the morning washing your face, having to use your hairdryer to defrost the water.....! :P

LOl that was funny I didn't even think to explain it was celcius. I did live in a place once where the pipes would freeze at night and you had to wait in the morning to have a shower until they were unfrozen. We even had icicles on the inside of the windows. Ah those were the student days with no money.

Hey I'm a transplanted California (42 years ago) and live in Washington State and I love it here. It is usually green and lush. The summers are getting warmer and usually the winters aren't snowy for very long except of course in the mountains. You can go from the mountains to the beach in about 2 hours in some areas. Where are you moving to in Washington, Jen? A lot of Californians are moving to Washington.<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2009/08/09 20:52

I live in British Columbia Canada and although we do experience the 4 seasons we don't get as much snow as the eastern provinces we get about a month where its very cold and snowy and that's about it we do get allot of rain in the fall and winter months but I'd rather have rain than snow you don't have to shovel rain. My birds stay indoors in the winter and so I try to include more foods with natural vitamin D3. Because our winter are fairly short and the spring starts around March on warmer spring days the birds can go out for a half an hour or so and warn weather lasts right through until the middle of October so its not to bad. I think washington State gets similar weather to ours so I don't think it will be to hard for your bird to adjust.