NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi few questions... if you don't mind!

Hi there,

Im moving out soon and ive been looking at these parrots i have alot of experience with animals we had had birds ducks chicken cockroles!

Ive been thinking about purchasing a Timneh african grey over a congo african grey just mainly for the size, i don't see many people with timnehs is there a reason for this are they inferior to the congo ones?

Is there a difference in their behaviour/intelligence to the congos, i know theres alot of sites providing this information but i would like a reply from you experienced lot!

Also i haven't found many place to purchased the birds i live in London, i did find one but it was priced at like £1200!

Welcome Shanir!!

It's GreYt having you here.

TAGs are simply harder to find due to there being less breeders. Many people prefer a CAG simply due to the larger size and bright red tail.

TAGs and CAGs are both African Greys and have the same intelligence and mannerisms for the most part.

Some say a TAG is not as timid as a CAG. This is simply not true. Perhaps a higher percentage of TAGs are more outgoing than CAGs, but a true study has not been performed on this. They are both wonderful birds and either is a GreYt choice. :-)

You get the bird you prefer. If smaller is more appealing to you, then get a TAG.

Hello Shanir and welcome to our family, we are so glad you have decided to join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and possibly a new grey.

Dan is right, there is not a lot of difference in Tags and Cags except for the obvious coloring and size. They are both intelligent and capable of talking.

You don't see as many Tags because there are not as many breeders who handle them but we have members here who have Tags and love them.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them and ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Hi Shanir, I have a lovely little Timneh, Ana Grey. I love her to pieces. She is fearless. Even in the US there are more Congos than Timnehs. I was lucky and found a breeder of TAGs. So if you like Bling (bright red tail) smokey colored feathers and a larger fid get a Congo. If you like small things, like I do, get a Timneh. Ana Grey has a lovely maroon/reddish tail has charcoal feathers and is quite dainty. Welcome to the grey family. I hope you find the right grey for you.

I agree with Dan. I have a timmy, and I love that he is smaller. His beak isnt as intimidating to people getting to know him as a larger beak would be, and he is easy to take places. These guys are very active though, so you should not assume that just because a tag is smaller than a cag they will be ok with a smaller cage. Young greys are pretty active and Ive met several middle aged greys that had not gotten the memo that they were no longer young :) Good luck finding the right bird for you!