NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

can my parrot eat everything?

windchimetime

i know no soda, avacado, sugar, salt etc...

but im vegan, can i basically let her eat everything with me? i know she can have all raw veggies and fruits, plain pasta...but can she have cooked meals? or processed? like when i eat peanutbutter and jelly, and meals...

i gave her oatmeal this morning, i have oatmeal with rice milk, can she? i give it to her with water for now

also, how come she is so afraid of things, like if i give her food that isnt bite size, she will freak out and scream and jump off the table...

like shes afraid of large objects

I pretty much let Josey eat most of what we have for dinner, of course no onions, raw or cooked or mushrooms. In fact just this evening Josey had some spaghetti, she loves any kind of pasta. The peanut butter would be ok without the jelly as it is mainly just sugar.

Some members here give those flavored instant oatmeal pouches, just fix them according to directions and you don't need to add any milk to it.

I would tend to stay away from a lot of processed foods as they tend to contain too much added salt. I believe we have some threads here in the bird food room that have the things listed that are forbidden, just do a search to find them.

Greys are very cautious creatures, they are scared of anything they don't know what it is, even food items so introduce them slowly and maybe eat some in front of her so she can see it is ok for her, sometimes just seeing you eat it will make her want it.

If you are talking about that jelly spread that is just fruit, I forget the name of it, it has no added sugar then that would probably be ok but anything that has any kind of sugar added to it is a no no.

Fresh fruit does have natural sugar in it but when you talk about jelly it is more than half sugar, that is way too much for greys. Vegetables are preferable to fruits when feeding your grey but a lot of fruits do have vitamins and nutrients that make them a good addition to their diet.

yea, sorry...thats what i was talking about, the fruit spread...i use it with almond butter (dont eat peanut butter anymore)

and i also heard that the parrot bird food you buy from the regular supermarket is bad for them.(ive been feeding her that for a year)....i didnt know that, so thats why i am trying to give her a wider range of a diet by eating my foods with me

I haven't tried almond butter, bet that is good, where do you get that may I ask?

I do feed a lot of what we eat to my fids, like this evening I had spaghetti and steamed squash, they had some of that and right now we have a lot of vegetables out of the garden so they have been having corn on the cob, tomatoes, peppers, squash, cabbage, beets, green beans and cucumbers plus we have some fruits we grow like cherries, strawberries, grapes, apples, pears, blueberries and raspberries both black and red.

Windchimetime, yes your bird can eat cooked food, but you don't want to give your grey a lot of sugar or salt. I think if you look in the Bird Food Room a lot of your questions might be answered for you and recipes can also be found there. You will also find lists of food that are not good for our fids.