NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What sould I do next?

pugman

For those of you that haven't read my intro thread I acquired a four year old neglected CAG. Her name is Sophie and she is a fearful bird. I have only owned her for two weeks now and I have gotten her to take sunflower seeds from my hand. I can touch her beak for a split second and then I reward her with a seed. She still shakes a lot so I think I will continue to do this until she is more relaxed. I of course would like to hold her but I'm not sure as what steps I should do to achieve this. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have read the "step up" sticky thread but removing the bird from it's cage before it can step up doesn't make sense to me. Also I might mention that she is unclipped but drops like a rock and is so scared when she is out of her cage.

Good for you, Pugman!

I honor you for taking on a neglected bird. I trust that Sophie and you found each other to make her and you awesome friends.

Spend as much time with Sophie as possible. This might be nothing more than sitting in a chair next to her cage. Yes, she'll shake. And yes, she's nervous, as you might be. Get her comfortable with your presence.

The fact that she takes seeds from your hand is great news. Move to step up with a treat and everything else will follow. Getting used to the positive reinforcement (vocal as well as treat) will go a long way towards Sophie feeling better. You don't need to take her out of her cage for the step training. My birds all learned to step in the comfort of their cages. I'm sure we'll get a flood of disagreements - but remember, it's your bird and train as you feel comfortable.

Spend time and enjoy the fun!<br><br>Post edited by: Spinner, at: 2009/08/05 05:27

Hello Pugman,

I also have a mistrated ag that I have had for about 5mths.When I first brought her home.I didnt do anything but Talk to her and just let her sit on her porch.I didnt think she would ever come off or even have anything to do with me.I moved on her speed and it was no time she would come to the cage door.I can say building trust is hard but it has took time and its a everyday thing.Phoebe comes out and plays ball and will give a kiss.She still is unsure about things but doing great.Just give her time.

Okay step up is next. I guess I'll wait until Sophie stops trying to bite me first right? I can hand feed her and touch her beak for a split second but if I keep my finger there too long she slowly tries to take it off my hand. I'm not trying to rush anything but I just want to know what my next move should be. According to the "step up" sticky you are supposed to hold your finger/hand underneath there belly. Right now that might be a little painful for me:unsure:

I re-homed Eclectus almost 3 months ago, who is over 10 years old. when I first got Sully he trembled all the time. He no longer does in my presence. He is leary of a lot of things and pins his eyes at me if he is no liking what I am doing. I can get him to step up from his cage, but only if he wants to. He always comes out of his cage if he wants me to step him up. Go at your grey's pace, be patient, you must first gain trust with your fid don't push too hard. Love and patience will get you the forever companion you want.

Your doing the right things. Patience and time are the two things that will overcome the fear.

The new cage, maybe toys not familiar, household items and of course people are all new and fear inducing. Plus, the background and how your Grey was treated has a lot to do with trust also.

The step up is probably already known to your 4 year old grey, so there's not any teaching required there. Your right, offering your finger for a step-up is just asking to have a wound inflicted. Watch the Greys body language and eyes closely. That tells you way before hand if there is any chance of a step-up.

You might also want to pay attention to the Eyes and see what items may be inducing fear. You will see them look at them and perhaps fluff their feathers a little, move away a step or two etc. This would give you an idea of any offending toys, other cage items, items close to the cage, items on you, like a crazy hawaiian shirt, necklace, finger nail color, hat etc.

Sit next to the cage and read, watch TV, talk to your grey etc. and leave cage door open so it can come out when it desires to.

Just a quick update. Sophie now lets me touch her beak for like 2 seconds before she starts to freak out. Before it was a split second so it's a bit of an improvement. I was just curious is there a place that you are not supposed to touch a bird.

Some will eventually let you touch them most anywhere but most usually love to be scratched on their necks and they like having their beak rubbed. Most greys that are particular about where you touch them usually don't like you to touch their wings, their tail and some their feet.

Give you bird time, the best way to gain their trust is to go slowly and do not push for more than they want to give or you will lose what you gained, paitence is what we preach here for you will gain more by being patient with your grey. Let her dictate what she will allow you to do and gradually over time she may allow more and more.