NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

unfit breeders

treyversmom

I guess i'm not sure where I should start. 1st off I have had no experience with hand-feeding until I got my 10 1/2 wk old african last Sunday, the so-called breeder, showed me 1 time how to feed him and sent me on my way. (thank god for the net) which is where i've turned to for videos and advise. I guess my question is "is there a way to get the breeder investagated and maybe closed down?" I know this seems harsh but on her site tonite she updated that she has a 14 wk old baby ready to go, only problem is its the same bird from my babys cluch, which is now just 11 1/2 wks old, and she states its eatting food and ready to go. when I confronted her she says its a different baby, but the same baby was listed yesterday as 11 weeks old. Not to mention I have caught her in numerous lies during the past 4 weeks i've dealt with her, she has had 3 complaints filed with the BBB in the last 18 months. I just feel really sorry for the birds in her care and want to do anything I can to make sure these innocent creatures get the start to life they deserve.

Well she probubly listed them that way because she doesn't expect to sell them for about 3 weeks. I know how you feel there are good breeders and bad breeders and I really wish this wasn't the case for some its a hobby and they do it forthe love of the birds they make very little money others will set up their birds one clutch after another and with no regards at all for the bird as long as they can make money its so sad these bird mills need to be closed down but by the time some one complains and the officials get to the breeders house she has hosed down the cages and changes the water and fed them and as long as the birds aren't showing signs of illness they can't do anything. Its so sad.

Well, I can understand your concern. The subject of buying birds that are too young or aren't weaned can't be totally put on the shoulders of the breeder. It's a subject that's been discussed not only here but on many boards. That breeder is a business person. An unscrupulous business person. He will sell items ( in this case birds) to people who either haven't checked out the problems arising from purchasing unweaned birds or were never aware that problems could arise from buying an unweaned bird. In order for him to succeed, he needs a buyer.

"""I guess my question is "is there a way to get the breeder investagated and maybe closed down?"""

No. You bought the bird and only in Europe is it against the law to sell unweaned birds.

The excitment and anticipation of hand feeding a bird is very appealing. No matter how many times people say to others not to buy an unweaned baby, they still do and will continue to do so. It's a losing battle. Birds who are weaned don't eat formula as a necessity but only as an add on when the bird desires it. Solid parrot food is what's given to a weaned bird.

"""""" Not to mention I have caught her in numerous lies during the past 4 weeks i've dealt with her,"""""

That should be your first clue that things aren't what they seem to be and a person does have the choice of walking away even though the desire for that bird who is possibly a final reality is only a short distance away.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/08/04 05:31

I am sorry to hear you were persuaded into taking your Grey home unweaned.

The best thing you can do now, is just focus all your energy and frustration into learning all you can about taking care of your much loved baby and enjoying that early age with him.

We are all here with many people and tons of experience should you need it. :-)

Dave007 wrote:

"""""" Not to mention I have caught her in numerous lies during the past 4 weeks i've dealt with her,"""""

That should be your first clue that things aren't what they seem to be and a person does have the choice of walking away even though the desire for that bird who is possibly a final reality is only a short distance away.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/08/04 05:31

Hi Dave,

I've had a little different experience as our tag turned out to be older than I was originally told. Also, I was led to believe the breeder had the baby on site but after I sent my deposit I found out it had to be flown in from another breeder. That took weeks longer than I was told. Turns out the place I'm buying from does not raise them from eggs but only finishes the hand-feeding (is that common?). I thought I had done a lot of research and asked the correct questions but it turns out I have a lot to learn. I could still walk away (though we've just met the little sweetie and it would be difficult...) but I would lose my deposit. I'm trying to understand why a breeder would lie, or at least mislead people.What could they be trying to hide?

best,

Plink

My Breeder that I got Adaya from had allot of Babys, all at the same time. and he asked my if I would take 3or4 to hand feed and He would give me one of the baby's I said I didn't want to take on that kind of resposibility but that I would take one of the baby's for 1/2 price. I lived 300 miles away away from him so if I had of taken the 4 baby's they would of had to be flown or driven back to him. So maybe the same sort of thing happens with your breeder.

Plink

For every dollar that exists, there's a person/persons who would feel better if it was in their pocket.

What you describe is somewhat unusual. There's a possible answer here though. The person doing the hand feeding wasn't the breeder but might have been a broker. A broker buys a bird/birds for a lower price than you will eventually pay. He feeds the chick and as soon as possible, that person tries to sell the bird even though it needs more weaning. Brokers are also involved in large pet stores although it has nothing to do with hand feeding ( these figures are hypothetical)

1--the broker buys birds from a breeder or breeders( wholesalers) of different birds. Many times, the babies may be poor quality birds and the parents are also in poor shape from be4ing over bred..He pays $350 for a grey.

2--he sells the bird to a pet shop for $650

3--the pet shop sells the bird to the retail customer for $1000.

Usually,much more than one bird or species is involved. Stay in touch here and people will help with any potential problems.

You can compare it to a puppy mill

Dave007 wrote:

Plink

For every dollar that exists, there's a person/persons who would feel better if it was in their pocket.

What you describe is somewhat unusual. There's a possible answer here though. The person doing the hand feeding wasn't the breeder but might have been a broker. A broker buys a bird/birds for a lower price than you will eventually pay. He feeds the chick and as soon as possible, that person tries to sell the bird even though it needs more weaning. Brokers are also involved in large pet stores although it has nothing to do with hand feeding ( these figures are hypothetical)

1--the broker buys birds from a breeder or breeders( wholesalers) of different birds. Many times, the babies may be poor quality birds and the parents are also in poor shape from be4ing over bred..He pays $350 for a grey.

2--he sells the bird to a pet shop for $650

3--the pet shop sells the bird to the retail customer for $1000.

Usually,much more than one bird or species is involved. Stay in touch here and people will help with any potential problems.

You can compare it to a puppy mill

Thank you, Dave, for your explanation. It is helpful to understand the larger picture. Have you, or others, heard of this practice on a much smaller home-based scale? I found my situation unusual as this person does breed and sell her own smaller birds. One of my mistakes was in assuming that to be true for all of her babies. (Sometimes I feel like my life exists in order to show others how _not_ to do something...:dry:) Btw, she isn't trying to get me to take my bird home early, at least not yet. She explained (though only after money had changed hands... my mistake again) that she gets the baby from a breeder she "trusts" at around 5 or 6 weeks and then finishes the weaning. But the baby did have to be flown in... I had not known about this possibility until I went through it. Is there a manner of finding out what quality this baby is? She offers a one year health guarantee, for what that is worth. Also, there is the 48 hour vet visit after we would bring the baby home. Are there known locations for where these bird mills operate? Would it be possible to know this from the band?

plink... I know ur feeling, ur getting a one year health guarantee which is GREAT... the "breeder" I got mine from gives a 10 day one. woohooo! and when I was there to pick up my baby I never recieved the guarantee paper, she told me it was still at the persons house that was hand-feeding the babys for her.Well after I left her home with the baby, I emailed her and told her I'd like the paperwork, then I was told I left the house with and un-weaned baby there was only a 2 day guarantee which of course is not longer valid. I've had him for about a week and a half now and so far he seems healthy! I thank god for that.

and I'd also like to thank Dave and the others for there reponses!

And a heads-up for anyone in Michigan looking for a baby, beware of a breeder in Sparta!!

Cyndi I am so sorry you got took but there are so many unfit breeders out there but there are good ones too and Dave speaks from experience as he is a breeder of greys, but he is a reputable one who would never have treated you that way but its the bad apples that give the others a bad name.

ohhhh I know there are good breeders :) I wish I would have encountered one of them. But in the next breath I love my lil guy so much and can atleast be thankful that he WILL have a great and loving future!! I just wish I could resuce his sibling too. e1.jpg

this is my Lil Einstein :)

Post edited by: treyversmom, at: 2009/08/05 17:09<br><br>Post edited by: treyversmom, at: 2009/08/05 17:10

e1.jpg