NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Simulated Foraging

danmcq

I thought I would pass on something I do to keep things interesting and provide some additional exercise to our Parrots.

I have multiple feeding areas in my house, besides just the cages. There is a small T-Stand with bowls in our living room, large T-Stand with bowls in our family room, Tree Stand with bowls in our Family room and a perch on our kitchen bar.

I place different food items on the different stands and leave some empty. When the birds decide they want something to eat or a snack, they will fly from stand to stand or one room another and see what is perhaps in a food bowl.

They will also go to their cage if they find all the other areas empty. I keep food or treats rotated in different areas at different times.

Of course, when the birds are in their cages, there is always food either in a bowl or a foraging device for them.

Ahhhh great minds, I too have foraging toys and devices at different areas of my house, a foraging wheel on a boing, a foraging ball at another, several coconut shells on the cargo net in the office and at the large perch in the living room. Kabobs are placed at one place or another in the main rooms of the house which I fill with fresh vegetables or fruit. My birds aren't flighted yet so I have knotted climbing ropes at each site so they can climb up as they like. I believe they have so many interesting places to scavenge their food from that they don't think to chew on my electrical cords or woodwork. But only time will tell as Ana Grey gets older and flighted.

;) Jim here, If we did that Spock would be on a "Search and Destroy" mission" all day.(I heard that!)

Hey, get off the key board!!, Sorry, they think they can type... This is great, something new for them to think about and do plus a workout.. Always can count on you...:laugh:<br><br>Post edited by: Jayd, at: 2009/08/04 05:26