NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

how can i teach..

devilangel09

• 4 weeks later...

My best guess would be to clip both birds wings. Then start having "out of cage" sessions where both birds are allowed to perch at the same time on SEPARATE perches a safe distance away. This should help them identify each other as fellow flock members as well as get to know each other at a safe distance.

Woah! "best advice to clip both birds wings". Let us just chop our children's legs off when they start arguing at nursery!

Thank god Moobu that it was "just your best guess".

devilangel09 - I don't know the best way to stop your babies arguing - but don't take Moobu's advice!

Do NOT clip your birds wings just for this reason!

Cover the cage with a sheet or something while the other grey is out so there will be no contact between both greys. You need to keep an eye on toe biting etc when one grey lands on anothers cage and they maybe dont get on.

Some greys will just not tolerate each other. They may learn to respect each other from a distance but dont force them to by clipping their wings and giving them no choice.

Try and work round it first.

Two of mine dont get on and if I place a certain toy or sheet just over the top of the cage he will not go near him.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Get a few items that are strange to the bird doing the attacking such as a teddy bear or other item that has eyes, Lay the teddy bear on it's back with eyes open on top of the other cage. That should stop your bird from flying to the other cage. It's the same method that's used when a person doesn't want their bird flying over to a piece of furniture or sofa. Put other strange things up there too. Clipping doesn't solve anything. Out of cage sessions?? Look, some birds don't like each other. That's pretty simple and common and happens all the time. One of the questions always asked is * I'm getting another grey. Do you think they'll like each other??* The answer is always the same. The birds may like each other, may not like each other or may not show any interest in each other. Clipping is never an answer to getting along and should be discouraged.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/08/29 19:11

Moobu wrote:

This should help them identify each other as fellow flock members as well as get to know each other at a safe distance.

They will identify each other without clipping wings.

Some birds will never become "Buddies". If both birds are flighted, they can stay away from each other very safely.

Clipping birds, puts them in danger of an attack they can not escape.

Moobu wrote:

My best guess would be to clip both birds wings.

That statement is about some of the worst advice I have heard on this forum and I have heard some doozies.

Devilangel, no one is accusing you of wanting to clip their wings, that was Brad's comment that started the resulting statements about clipping their wings. You are right on about the being patient and good things will come.