NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A favorite foraging toy

Char

The Zupreem pellets work good. Because they are small and I can put 3 0r 4 in there. I mix it up and put a few almonds in too. Also a few pieces of dried corn might go in one or a Harrison's Power Treat.

These ball are bigger than the regular white ones you see everywhere so have bigger holes in them. They last forever. She chews the white ones up but not these.

It is also important to make the wrapped treat kind of bullet shaped so they can pull them out. She has to really work at it but she gets them out and eats the treat.

I will put about 8 in the ball every morning before I leave for work and when I return she has gotten them all out.:)

Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/08/03 02:45<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/08/03 02:47

Tycos_mom wrote:

Well its off to pet smart tomorrow I love that Idea I guess I'll have to buy an even 1/2 dozen now that I have 6 birds to feed

Yes you will! but I warn you, it is a big toy..$12-$14 that this big green ball comes on. I have 2 of them. Sure am glad I did not need six.:)

just had to say i was at the dollar store today and i saw some wiffle balls that had overly big holes in it and i thought of this post and got them. i stuffed almonds wrapped in cup-cake liners in the holes and gave it to willis and boy did he have a blast!! it took him a while to get all of them out but it did keep him entertained for quite a bit. karma to you for this!!

GorgASS wrote:

just had to say i was at the dollar store today and i saw some wiffle balls that had overly big holes in it and i thought of this post and got them. i stuffed almonds wrapped in cup-cake liners in the holes and gave it to willis and boy did he have a blast!! it took him a while to get all of them out but it did keep him entertained for quite a bit. karma to you for this!!

Wow I wish our dollar store had them. I am glad that Willis liked them. I tried it on a whim and have to say I was surprised at Whisper's reaction and even more surprised that she could Acutally get them out. I underestimated her.

they came in a 5 pack...for $1! talk about awesome!! lol

well like i said i put one at the bottom of his cage just to see if he'd like it, and he went straight for it. he has a net that he doesn't seem to like to go on (it's semi-new) so i thought i'd hang on from his net and see what happens. i hung it kind of low so he didn't have to go too far onto it to get it and slowly moved it up...by the end of the day he was climbing all the way to the top of his net to get the almonds out of this toy! maybe someone else can use something like this to coax their grey onto a new toy lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a super and affordable idea !

Since Cocoa is a new addition to the house I have been searching for "things" to entertain him, but it seems the stores are way to proud of a piece of wood and a little rope with knots in it for my liking. I can buy 100 foot of rope for 14 dollars and I know how to tie knots too !

I read this post last night and tonight stopped at the grocery store :

1 can unsalted almonds ON SALE - 2.99

1 package Party Cupcake wrappers- 1.99

1 SUPER HAPPY COCOA -- PRICELESS !!!!!!!

I'll find some wiffle balls this weekend to make it a little more challenging, right now he's finding a couple hid in his cage.

Thanks

Lee<br><br>Post edited by: Cocoascaregiver, at: 2009/08/27 03:21

Well I got a Toy for Darius today with one of those extra large Wiffle balls on it. the toy is huge and I made the mistake of showing it to him before stuffing the wiffle ball with treats. He grabbed the toy and won't give it back so I'll have to wait until bed time then I will geet it back for sure the toy cost me $25.00 but its worth it to see him enjoying it and It will be even more worth it once I get the wiffle ball suffed with little packages I can hardly wait.

Char wrote:

Did you let him watch you put them in? That should give him an idea.

Yes I did and its a HUGE success now!! Ecko was at the ball for hours yesterday. I was watching him for a while and the first one he got out he didn't know there was a treat inside, he was just chewing the paper. Then he realized there were treats and he got even more excited LOL! Thanks again Char for the great idea!;)

I hate to tell you this but eventually they become quite accomplished at getting them out and the time it takes them to empty it goes from hours to minutes. :P Better keep refills handy.<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/08/31 21:33