NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

well its 7:42 am here

Tycos_mom

Do you think its to early to pick up Harley I'm so excited. Today I get my very first very large bird. I don't know if I have a carrier large enough for him to even bring him home. I'm scared now I've never been nervous about bringing a bird home but I'm very nervous about this one. I've been reading everything I can find on Harlequin Macaws all week and when I was bringing home Jeepers I did a ton of research on Macaws in general but the thought of having such a big bird in my house scares the daylights out of me.

Well Pat to be truthful if you are afraid of bringing such a large bird into your house maybe you should rethink this before doing it for you know as well as anyone that if you are truly scared of large birds that bird will know it and react to it, maybe you are just nervous since it is the first large bird but if you really want this bird and today is the day then get over it quick. I personally think you will do fine, this is a big step for you but I think you can handle it, now go and get that bird for we want to see some pics of it.:cheer:

I wish you well in taking on "Harley". Harlequin Macaws need a lot of TLC and out of Cage time. Hopefully he and the rest of the flock will get a good schedule sorted out that keeps them all happy.

I don't know how you do it Pat, but God bless you for taking in and providing a wonderful home for all those FIDs! :-)

Judy I'm not afraid of the bird I'm afraid for my house. I have so much natural wood everywhere. Before I bought my home it belong to the chief of the Indians that live on the researve. He was very into keeping things as natrual as possible and when he added the addition of the sun room he put up natural beams and all really beautiful natural wood around the windows and I can just picture what its going to look like when if Harley gets his beak on it. I know its just training none of my other birds have touched it. I just got to make sure I have lots of toys and things to chew so he doesn't get any ideas thats why I have to get some large toys made quickly.

OIC now Pat, forgive me for assuming you were afraid of the bird, I should have known better than to think you would but I guess you will just have to be very careful to keep that beak away from the woodwork since with that history you wouldn't want it destroyed.

Pat, I cant wait to hear about Harleys home coming:)

I also have had problems with the birds chewing wood, you only have to turn your back for a minute and theres a chunk of doorframe gone!

I will be looking out for posts Pat, hope everything will go as smoothly as possible:)

well I waited until 11am to go get him and I should have gone at 7:42 am. when I got there was a note on the door saying Pat we will be gone until dinner time. I brought the birds in because it feels like its going to be a hot one. See you later. So now I have to wait until after 6pm to pick him up. I've been trying to figure out how we are going to get him into the carrier. I'm going to take a bunch of nuts with me and put them at the far end of the carrier hopfully he will go in and get them and all we will have to do is close the door behind him if it doesn't work its going to be so much fun trying to move him.