NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Stolen Birds

Here is the news article from a local pet store. This occered one week ago. July 25 09. One bird is still missing.

Two of three parrots stolen from Petland in Lewisville Friday night were found and returned to the store Tuesday.

Bill Milam, manager of the store located on East FM 3040, said a man was videotaped removing the parrots after the store had closed. He said a second person may also have been involved in the thefts.

He said the two parrots which were recovered Tuesday morning were Cuddles, an 8-month-old African Grey and Coco, a 3-month-old Congo Grey. Happy, a 4-month-old Congo Grey, was still missing late Tuesday.

Milam said the total combined value of the three parrots is $4,800.

Capt. Kevin Deaver of the Lewisville Police Department said police are investigating the incident.

Milam said he believes the thief on camera may be a former employee of the store.

He said he believes the suspect may have dropped off Cuddles and Coco after learning by watching television that the theft had been videotaped.

The two birds were apparently dropped off at the residence of a woman who was not at home. Milam said a Flower Mound police officer, who lives next door, heard squawking in some bushes and went to investigate. He expected to find doves, but instead found the two young parrots.

The parrots were returned to the store. Milam said they were taken to a veterinarian for a checkup, but appeared to be in good condition other than that they were stressed and dehydrated.

Jessica Staton, who works for the microchip registry for birds, said anyone with information about where the missing bird might be should call HelpmefindMYPET at 866-699-3463.

She said the suspect broke in to the store while it was closed by prying the back door open. The parrots appear to have been a particular target, as nothing else was taken.

Staton said the man also came prepared with a large plastic container that he can be seen carrying in the surveillance footage.<br><br>Post edited by: HollysFlock, at: 2009/08/01 18:39

This is the pet store I always go to. So I know these birds. The missing baby was still being bottle feed. Hope wherever it is, it is doing ok. What a loser to disrupt the life of this kind of bird. The little Timneh seems to be doing alright, I went to see him. I really wish I had the cash to buy him. He is $1199.