NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Baby Finally Here

paullywalnuts

So i picked up my first grey from the breeder today, im really excited and happy. I wanted to take some pictures, but my batteries dead. Hatch date according to breeder was may 1st. He/she seems adjusted already, tried balancing on my hand but still cant even stand balanced on the perch. Appears to be a picky eater, it was eating seeds at the breeders, and still likes to get formula. So any eating problems are ruled out. I do have a few questions.

He/she stands on 1 leg and with the other makes a fist (supposed to mean something?)

Do baby greys sleep on their bellies, because it was sleeping on its belly.

I did get harrison pellets, hopefully i can slowly transfer him to pellets.

I will try to post pictures asap.

Good news, hope you enjoy your baby as much as we all did.

When they are fully grown they do sleep on one leg and the other makes a fist and pulls it towards their body.

When they are babies they do tend to sleep on their belly's.

You could feed him baby formula till he doesn't want it anymore.

Keep us posted and take some pic's. We all want to see your baby. ;)

I'm so happy for you Paullywalnuts!

It sounds like you and your new Grey are adjusting well to each other and having a good start! :-)

Have you been considering names yet?

I will look forward to seeing the Photo's once you get your Camera batteries.

You certainly came to the right forum to get all the expert advise as your questions come up.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/07/10 13:32

Guest Lidia

Birds do sleep on one leg and curl the other up into a fist which they tuck into their tummy feathers. They do this as it is the only way they have to rest their feet (ie, one at a time!).

I don't know about them sleeping on their bellies, I didn't have Joshua until he was 4 months old and fully weaned and I only met him a week before I got him. I'm sure someone else here in our family will be able to tell you.

Guest briansmum

yep congrats on your baby! everyone has answered your questions, but i can add that brian also used to sleep laid down when i first got him, before he could perch properly, but now spends most of his time on one foot :)

dscn0486gq2.jpg

dscn0487pk6.jpg

Today i fed him formula in the morning just in case he wouldn't eat his seeds, veggies, and pellets i left for him. When i came home from work he didn't touch any of his food or water. I tried feeding him formula again, but he wouldn't take it. I even tried soaking the pellets in water, he still didn't take. But he is fun and happy, still getting used to me picking him up, he's scared that theres nothing outside of his cage, and when he tries to step out he trys to hang on the sides of his cage.

Post edited by: paullywalnuts, at: 2007/07/11 04:12<br><br>Post edited by: paullywalnuts, at: 2007/07/11 04:30

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww how cute is he, a real doll.:kiss:

He's just unsure of himself and a baby but as his confidence grows so will his agility and he will be so sure footed he will be all over the place in no time.

Congrats on bringing him home.

Try soaking the pellets in some juice and see if that makes it more tempting to eat.:cheer:

Sounds like a good idea. I think he hasn't gotten the chewing and swallowing concept down. He just nibbles on most things and leaves it in his mouth and it falls out. But he gobbles down the formula.

Thanks for your comments. I threw in a few toys, hopefully get some perches and get a bigger cage soon.

My greys like to sleep on a little platform perch that hangs on the side of the cage. Perhaps your baby would feel more secure with one of those in his cage until he gets his footing? I got mine at Petsmart (ontario Canada) not sure where you live but I bet most pet shops would have them.

Guest Lidia

Gorgeous, georgeous, georgous baby! Congratulations. It sounds like you're doing everything right! Keep posting photos of him so we can see him growing up. He's an absolute sweethear!