NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why oh Why?

lovethatgrey

Someone on another parrot forum informed us that her 17 year old female blue and gold macaw lay an egg for the first time recently.:ohmy:

Pretty much reminded me that with a female parrot one is never out of the woods when it comes to egg laying.

The other matter that I was wondering about is why is it that parrots have such a long life expectancy compared to the other pets that are kept in homes.:) :silly:

I'm not sure but I do think that turtles live long too. Especially if they are cared for properly.<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/08/01 03:16

Yes you are right, those of us with female parrots will have to be on alert to that very possibility for a long time and my Josey is a dna'd female but not all will lay an egg, maybe we will be lucky and not have to experience that, if Josey never lays one I will be so grateful.

I think you are right about turtles, they can live for a long time too.

The reason that most parrots have such long life spans is because they're not living in their natural habitate in large flocks. We humans provide them with what they get in a pet environment. In the wild, the average full span life of a grey is 28 to 30 yrs.

Dave007 wrote:

We humans provide them with what they get in a pet environment. In the wild, the average full span life of a grey is 28 to 30 yrs.

Exactly, they really have no predators in a house environment except for the occasional cat or dog but in their natural habitat they have many and if one gets hurt there is no vet to take care of them so a lot of them die from their injuries.