NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello - Happy to belong to the forum

Hello everyone,

We are a family of four (people), one green cheek conure and two parakeets. Adopting an AG is under consideration.

When I was a kid, my parents brought home a couple of yellow-fronted canaries. One of them developed a habit of peeping very fast when it saw me come near its cage, as if it was mad at me. Its name was Gyro. One day, I decided to put my finger inside Gyro’s cage out of curiosity. To my surprise it started to bite my finger with its tiny beak, while still peeping fast. Yes, this was a canary not a parrot. Its bites tickled my finger, if that.

To this day, I’m not sure if Gyro hated me the most or liked me the most, but it wouldn’t bite anyone else, or do the crazy peep for anyone else, but me. Needless to say, the bird and I developed a bond, it may have been a bond based on bird rage, but it was a special bond nevertheless.

By the time I became a teenager, Gyro was still in the family, but unfortunately the other canary was gone. Gyro had been the singer out of the two, so we were happy that it was still among us. At the same time, as a teenager, I became more interested in my social life than in Gyro. I would pass by its cage and ignore it, even though he was peeping at me with its beak pointing up wanting me to come by so that he could bite my finger.

One day, my younger sister was cleaning Gyro’s cage, and she decided to take it out of its cage to play. Unfortunately she was doing this outside in the back yard, and its wings hadn’t been clipped for a while. So Gyro flew away. When I found out what had happened I was devastated. I remember crying for a while that day. I also remember being sad for a few days after that.

About a week after Gyro’s escape, I spotted it standing on a tree branch right across from our house. It was harassing a finch (not surprisingly knowing its temper). I called Gyro, but it ignored me, just as I had been ignoring it for the past many months. Gyro seemed very happy though. Soon after, Gyro flew away, and I never saw it again.

After I officially witnessed his flight to freedom, I stopped being sad. In fact, I was happy that Gyro had the opportunity to experience freedom for at least a portion of its life.

I never thought I’d have another bird after that, and certainly not one as special as Gyro was to me. But they say to never say “never,” and here we are with three birds and possibly one more on the way.

I’m happy to be a part of this forum.

CongoMongo

Hello CongoMongo and welcome to our family, we are so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and hopefully your new grey.

I think you will really enjoy an african grey and you do have some parrot experience and you are doing all the right things before making the final plunge, thats the right way so you should do just fine.

I enjoyed the story of Gyro even though he is gone, maybe you were the only one he bit but I think those were love bites not angry ones.

Continue to read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We love pictures here so if you want to share some of the green cheek conure and the keets we have an other birds room where you can put them.