NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Heya. new non parront ..

.. but hopefully soon to be parront :)

First is first, I'm Diana and I'm 25 years of age. My partner (johan, who also lurks *waves* ) and I are preparing for our first CAG. And tbh.. I CANT WAIT.

We've done loads of research but still don't feel we are quite ready to take the plunge. Been lurking in this forum for a while, first as guest then signed up.. and finally dared to make a post.

Personally I don't think you can be prepared enough and as such we wont even look until everything is in order (make the house parrot safe, cables etc.. Teflon *sigh*.. that stuff is in so much more then you are aware off)

I adore DIY, so therefore I make the toys myself. Its fun to do although atm defiantly not cheaper hihi.. but thats my own fault.

Today the cage came in, its a Montane las vegas cage with dome top ( I believe ). its 85x60x200 ( living hight 1.50).

That will primarily be his/her night cage. Since I stay at home due to health reasons he/she can be out all day.

We've decided on no clipping, so he/she will be free roaming. He/she will be fed a combo of Harissons and eco bird pellets, added with greens fruit nuts and seeds.

Probably forgetting alot of info but thats it for now. Already became a wall of text as it is :P

Either way, Hello from both of us and I hope to learn alot more from you guys :)

Welcome Diana and Johan!!!

It's GreYt having you hear. It's always good to hear how someone has been researching long in advance of making the final decision to go get a Grey. :-)

It's sound like you have already already made preparations and important decisions a head of time.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

Hello Diana and Johan!! Welcome to the forum, that was a great introduction. It sounds like you are really doing your research and that is wonderful! So have you already picked out a CAG from a breeder? If so, how old is it?

Thats awesome that you make your own toys, if you want to share some ideas in the "Homemade Toys and playstands" room that would be awesome, I love to make toys and get more ideas.

Anyways, I hope to hear more from you and Johan and hear about your new CAG. We love pictures around here so if and when you get some we would love to see. I hope you enjoy the site, ask as many questions as you like. ;):P

Hi Diana (and Johan) - you've just written my parrot story! I did exactly the same as you - lurked in the background, signed up, sold my soul to the devil (brought Harvey home)!

You sound like you've done the research well - ask this lot any questions - they are my "Parrot Angels"!! Everyone is so welcoming and helpful - you'll love it here - looking forward to hearing of your future new addition. :)

Thanks so much guys, for the warm welcome!

We have infact not chosen a CAG yet, we just know we are going for a CAG over a TAG ( mostly due to breeders )

There is a very good breeder in the stockholm area ( bout an hour south of there) however still looking around since I am not too keen on a 3-4 hour drive purely for the bird's health. That is the closest this far though -.-

We'll have plenty of questions I am sure, but beware of the randomness of them. So much to learn..

@Caitb I'll try and make some "good" pictures.. other then my hands being colored by food dye :P.. each time I tell myself.. Diana put on gloves... and each time I end up with having pink/orange/blue/green fingers. And once its in the pores.. its in

Hi Diana, what a great introduction!!! Karma to you for doing your research and being so prepared to welcome your baby CAG home. Can't wait to hear that you have found the right baby grey for you. If you have any questions, just ask. Welcome to the grey family!

"""And tbh.. I CANT WAIT."""

I hear ya, everyone who decides to get a grey are so impatient waiting for it, I remember when I first got Josey, I had to wait for her to wean and it is like waiting for Christmas morning.

You are the type of person we like to see get a grey, you are finding out all you can to prepare yourself for a lifetime committment and that lifetime can be for 60+ years. You are asking questions and not jumping in head first without a parachute, if more parrot owners would be as responsible we wouldn't have so many in rescues or in need of new homes, I hate those who get one on a whim.

You will learn a lot from the many threads here so continue to read thru them and ask questions and we will help you in any way we can.

Looking forward to hearing when you do get that grey and of course you will have to provide some pics, those are a must.

In close proximity of where I grew up I've seen how it shouldn't be done and how it should. My neighbors many years ago had a grey, it was in a barren cage and if he dared to make a sound the cage would be hit, or something would be yelled at him from a few rooms away. Those people didn't stay very long, they ended up moving to Suriname and the grey ended up going to the national parrot shelter.

On the other hand, 2 streets away there lives a grey, he's roughly 20 years of age. The woman that takes care of him has had him from birth, however her husband was his real favorite. he sadly passed away earlier in the year and simba is taking it quite rough but seems to be happy to mourn with his female caretaker. He's a blast, he can curse in context ^^

He is completely free roaming although he does have a cage but he sleeps on top of it, never been clipped and never plucked or barbed any feather.

I've never understood people who get anything on a him, specially not animals. They are a life commitment, they have feelings and they aren't just object to pretty up the house.

Pictures will come I promise :D, love photography so in the end it will probably end up quite boring with all the pictures hihi:whistle:

Welcome to our family its great that your doing your home work before getting a Grey that is so important. I have a few birds including 2 Greys and with each new bird its always tons of research so I have some Idea what I'm in for. I'm adopting a Harlequin Macaw and I've been reading everything I can find on them for the last week Its hard to do when its a rescue situation and you don't have much time. I try. I have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to birds in general but I still like to do research on personality and temperament every bird is different and so much fun because they are. I hope you get a baby soon I love baby pics and I would also like to see some of those toy you make I make toys for my guys also