NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Apartment repair smell

frankieNYC

In my apartment, there was some wood damage... I put in a work order last week when I would be away (frankie was away too), but they didn't come until today. I came home and the apartment smells like some kind of glue... I asked the front desk what it was, but they don't really know. I put him in the bathroom (he is looking at me like i'm nuts), but I don't know if this will suffice. What should I do? What is toxic ? What are the signs that he has had exposure ? He's acting normal and hungry and chirpy...

btw i'm new here... happy to see a lively forum...

Stephanie

A good rule of thumb, is if YOU can smell it, then it isn't good for them to inhale. Can you open the windows to air it out, turn on the AC. Do you have an air filter system you could turn on?

I would be very worried about it if you can smell it. Many things are toxic to birds that aren't to us. But Glue is definitely toxic.

It can affect them in a small amount of time, so I wouldn't allow him to sleep in the room unless you can air it out thoroughly. :dry:

I've opened the windows, the doors, and turned the AC on tops. I still smell it and am concerned. Frankie is in the bathroom acting confused.

I live in a studio in downtown NYC... i'm negotiating with my parents (long island, the caretakers last week) to possibly come get him. I can't bring him there since I've got no car and don't believe they like parrots on the subway.

Stephanie

Oh, I'm sorry you will be alone, but I think it's best for Frankie. Air that place out as much as you can tonight, and tomorrow. Let us know how you make out. :dry:

And aren't Moms & Dads just great in an emergency?! :cheer:

I kept the windows open today with the AC on (don't want to see the electric bill this month...) so the smell has dissipated. Frankie actually likes it at my parents house, he gets to boss them around and they spoil him. They say he's a bit more subdued than usual - not following them from room to room, but eating and drinking lots. I imagine he feels strange from all the hustle and bustle. I probably won't get him back this week since it's difficult for them to shlep him back and forth, and it's ultimately better not to stress him out. I'll probably be suffering more than him :dry:

Stephanie

Oh, I'm sorry you have to go the rest of the week without him, but you did the right thing sending home with Mom & Dad. Keep airing out your apt. as much as possible. Let us know when he comes home! We'd love to hear some stories if you have any to share. :cheer:

I've been home in LI for the weekend, chilling with Frankie. He was so delighted to see me, stepped right up and just wanted headrubs and kisses. It's nice to know he missed me as much as I missed him.

A side note, when he's outside my apartment, he becomes soo docile and needy. He clings to me and doesn't argue about stepping up. At home, he thinks he's the boss.... and does exactly as he pleases. I think i need to learn to lay down the law at home, but he's just too cute.

stephanie

• 3 weeks later...

You are so right, it takes another head to think of a simple thing like that and it does make sense that they view their cage as their territory and if they are away from it it is like ducks out of the water. Two heads are better than one and many heads are the best. Karma to you, my man.:)