NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Would you order a cage off ebay?

TAG

Hi there.

Previously, when ordering my Parrotlet's cage, I found a website dedicated to bird cages.

Now I am looking for a cage for my Timneh. I found a few new cages on ebay.

Is it worth the risk to order a cage from there?

Would love all opinions.

:cheer:

Oh yes, I think its totally worth it. Ebay has the same name brand cages as other websites do. Some are cheaper too. Just make sure that the seller has 100% feedback and good comments from previous customers. I don't see anything wrong with ebay, I haven't ordered a cage from there but I do order a lot of bird toys and swings and I am always satisfied with them. Good luck on your search Lindsey. ;)<br><br>Post edited by: caitb2007, at: 2009/07/29 15:52

This is too funny...I have been looking for a cage for YummYumm on eBay and thinking the same thing about if I should or not. Thanks for asking the question.

I have yet to purchase a cage but am finding several that I like on ebay...I do know from experience with ebay sellers. We need to make sure we don't just go by the pictures. There are some sellers out there that will show different items than the actual one being sold. Read the fine print. I also have seen on there where there are several for free shipping. Ones that are not I have found to be as much or more than buying from a local store. Because ebay has no regulations on shipping charges the seller can charge what ever amount they choose. Just be careful, I know I am liery.

I also have gone to my local pet stores and looked at cages, this allows me to "see" sizes and shapes. I am a visual person so this helps me when looking at a pic on line.

Thanks again for asking this question.

PS...this is the cage I am considering...what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-New-Bird-Parrot-Cage-Cockatiel-Conure-32-x20-x53_W0QQitemZ260450229917QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca40b1e9d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

How funny! I was looking at the same seller as you- everila.

I was looking at their dometophttp://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Bird-Cage-Parrot-Cages-Macaw-Dometop-36-x26-x65_W0QQitemZ260429338329QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca2cc56d9&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14#ht_1088wt_732

because I like the diminsions (and heck, the free shipping doesn't hurt either), except I was hoping to get a play top cage.

This is the other one I liked-- but not sure it will fit in my townhouse!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Bird-Parrot-Cage-Macaw-Cockatoo-Playtop-40x30x67_W0QQitemZ380131659543QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item58819ccf17&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14#ht_1391wt_732

Very nice...not looking to spend that much right now...I am trying to keep the cage around the same size as YummYumm is use to cause he's been in it for over a year. Once I gert him home and adjusted I may upgrade to a larger cage.

The one seller I saw had some negative feed back however, they have something like 117 PAGES of feed back with only 17 reported as negative...I didn't think that was too bad.

Lindsey, both of those cages would be great for your new grey. They are huge! I like the one with the playtop the best. Your baby TAG would have so much fun on it.

YummYumm, the first cage you showed wouldn't be good for a grey. The bars are very small and I think a grey would have a hard time climbing around it and their talons could get stuck. The second one is much better for a grey. :)

I just recently purchased a cage off of Ebay similar to the one below with the play top and it delivered Monday. It was beautiful and after everything it came to $233 including shipping. I was leary but after it came I would do it again, the same cage locally was about $599. It is worth every penny and much bigger then the one she had originally when I picked her up. We call it Kiwi's palace.

What I found with Ebay is that some sellers put the shipping in the cage cost and some show it seperate so either way your paying it keep that in mind, add it up sometimes the price ends up the same so don't pass the ones by with shipping cost. I won't ever purchase one locally again unless it is like 75% off :P

i bought willis' cage off ebay and i'd do it again. i think i spent around $250 for a huge cage worth well over what i paid for it. the only bad thing about the cage is when i got it the tray where you put the newspaper in was bent and wouldn't fit under the cage where it was supposed to but all i did was bend it back and it's fine. and i don't think that had anything to do with the seller...i think it was more with the shipping. like someone else said, just make sure you check the feedback to make sure there isn't too much negative. good luck in finding a cage!

• 1 month later...

Yes I would.....I actually ordered 5 of them from e-bay and would do it again without a second thought. I got name brand cages and saved a TON of money getting them from e-bay. You just have to check feedback and make sure you are dealing with someone that is professional. I would definately do it again!

• 3 months later...

Absolutely! We've gotten both our cages on Ebay and have been very pleased with them. And we paid HUNDREDS less than we would have paid at the pet store. Plus, many of the bigger warehouses offer free shipping. Very nice.

Unfortunately some of the best deals were pick-up only. Bummer!

Blessings!

Hannah

• 1 month later...

I have bought two cages from the same seller on ebay and am EXTREMELY happy with it. It is heavy duty and works great. I wouldnt to the Buy It Now because if you wait for a 99 cent listing you can get a HUGE cage for a total of around $280 including shipping. The seller is "k1ngnyc" I got this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parrot-Bird-Cages-Playtop-for-African-Greys-40x30-Black_W0QQitemZ120495915443QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e1dc1b3

I also buy my toys and perches from another seller on ebay. The toys are awesome but are much larger that the pictures. The seller is "parrotsahoy"

http://cgi.ebay.com/PFBT-Bird-Toy-Parts-Parrot-Toys-Ribbon-Wood-Twister_W0QQitemZ110413140475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b522d1fb<br><br>Post edited by: MrsBridenstine, at: 2010/01/30 06:48

• 2 months later...

I have also bought a cage off ebay in the past & was very happy with it, I will be on there soon to get Murphy a new cage as he is in my old spare one at the moment ( I grew out of it....lol ). I also recently bought him 10 toys off ebay & they were great value & looked even better when they arrived.

I really did a lot of searching when I shopped for cages 3 years ago. I used to sell on e-bay so naturally that was the first place I looked. (I was living in NY at the time.) I ended up purchasing 2 cages, one from e-bay and one from kings cages in New Jersey.

This is the one I bought (in Sandstone - really nice). They had a sale on at the time and I paid $300 including shipping. Right now they have it for $399. It was worth every penny. It's a beautiful huge cage and I feel reasonably confident that its paint is non toxic. A lot of the cages on e-Bay are from China and I would not buy one that is being sold too cheaply there unless it is used.

http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=ELP_3426

The other cage I purchased was a bit smaller and it only cost me $25!! Somebody was auctioning their used cage because they had bought a larger one. The lady lived near me and had a CAG and a TAG living in the same cage. It turned out to be a Kings cage as well, in great shape and really clean. I was able to order a couple of spare parts for it (the play top section which she didn't have) when I bought the larger cage.

This is it: It costs $299 new!

http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=134

When you search for cages on E-Bay, if you find someone in your area, you have a really good chance of winning the auction at a lower price if it's pick up only. The competition is less. Plus, you will be able to see who had it first and take action accordingly (i.e sterilization, etc.) All used cages need a good cleaning and disinfection and also if you can, keep it outside for a while in the sun (it could have some bugs in it). Don't be too turned off by that. It is very rare. All in all it is worth it. I use the second cage at our trailer in the country so that Sunshine can spend a lot of time outdoors.

Here's the photo when I just put it together. Sunshine liked it right away:

B754.jpg

Here's the smaller one I had him in for the first couple of months (not the greatest photo...):

5F2.jpg

Edited by SunnyBird

It looks like Sunshine had some "kitty Skin Rugs" around the cage LOL!!!

HA HA LOL Yes they are Simba and Selini. They were kittens at the time. Both of them and Sunshine celebrated their birthdays within the last month. When Sunny first got home they stayed by his cage constantly. They were mesmerized by him. They've gotten used to him now, except when he's flying around. Every once in while one will try to swat at him although he's flying much to high for them to reach.

catssmall6monthsold.jpg