NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

An example of why Quarantine is IMPORTANT!

lovethatgrey

I always quarantine every new bird I get until the bird gets a clean bill of health from my Vet That story is very similar to one I read a few years back except it was Amazons and it turned out that her whole flock got infected and she lost 8 birds all because she didn't Quarantine a baby. After that I don't take any chances I would just lose it completely if I found out it was due to my negligence that I lost my birds they would have to take me away to the funny farm To me it would be like losing my kids and I was the one who killed them no way could I deal with that<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/07/29 04:59

Interesting enough someone named LoveMyGreys wrote about Quarantine. At the top of the page under FAQs the article is noted. If you type in quarantine in the Search Forum block, information on quarantine can be found. I quarantined my re-homed Eclectus when I first got him because of things I have learned from this forum. If there is any more someone would like to add about quarantining a new bird, they should feel free to start a thread/post about it. We all need reminders and learning and sharing information about our greys and other fids is why we are all here. All the things I learn and people I meet are why I love this Grey Forum. :kiss:

This forum is the first place I learned about quarantining the fids before letting them be close to each other. While I had no intentions of adding to my flock earlier this month I did exactly that with a re-homed U2. Quarantining him would not have been a problem, but I was lucky enough to have an AV who answered the phone after hours and who was also the medical professional of the U2. While I didn't have to keep Dixie and Sterling separated, I did have vet checks on file for both of them within the last 3 months. Keeping this information up to date is extremely important, as well as waiting to introduce new fids to the flock until all is checked out and there is a clean bill of health.

While Sterling has been a wonderful addition to our family, I would never have put his or Dixie's health in question until the AV had been consulted! Sterling wouldn't have made it into the house without this information.

--

Robin, Paul, Dixie, Sterling and George

When I got my second bird and announced it here on the forum that was the first thing I was told.."Quarantine!

So I learned it here first, too. It may not get discuss here on a regular basis but I think most of members will talk about it when it's needed.