NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Redtail Boa(Snake) Vs African Grey?

Ma12cus504

I notice that the response always tend to lend toward the side of whatever forum i am in. I posted the same question on the snake forum, everyone on there went crazy. Alot of them dont know anything about parrot and try to say the typical myth about them. But so far, they are much more hostile then this forum :)

Well people that enjoy watching things kill are usually pretty hostile. People that enjoy having conversations and just watching the Grey do its thing are usually not very hostile at all.

Plus a lot of people on the Grey forum here also say its more a matter of personal preference. My friend loves Ferrets but I would never get one; and she hates birds. You just get what you like cause life is too short to do what other people say!:evil:

I know though from my experience, when guests in my house come over, they love the birds. They want to hold them and play with them, which is good cause they will learn to play with strangers. Inviting guests to see your giant snake that could kill them but doesnt because "he's already eaten today" seems like the mutual understanding might be lost.

CeasarsDad wrote:

Is it me or am I missing something here in this discussion? First let me tell you I had a 6 foot long 12 inch round Boa Constrictor. From a pet standpoint.. It's the dumbest pet I ever had.. Unless of course you are the type that loves to see it kill and eat.. Which by the way is one of the reasons people buy snakes.. and don't be mistaken by that.. They get a thrill at watching it kill. There will often be debates of these forums as to what snake is the best KILLER ..

Sorry I must disagree that people only get snakes to watch them kill. I have one in my husbands smoking room away from the birds. She has never ate live food. Only prekilled. That is what I looked for when I got her. We have had her 11 years.

We like her cause she is very pretty dark brown and pinkish orange. My husband likes to impress his friends with her. And yes we enjoy watching her swallow her food hole but it is prekilled.

It also amazing to watch her shed. But ya she is dumb as a post. lol

She is an corn snake and really large for her kind. 6 foot 2 inches and old for her kind too. Generally only live 7 to 8 years in captivity.

However if I had to choice I'd keep the bird can't hold the snake. lol

Yeah but Tari you are a much older and wiser person now then some of the teenagers that buy snakes.. And I can tell you that most if not all teenage boys that buy snakes buy them because of the "novelty" of watching it kill and eat.. Now you can certainly dispute this.. but I think it is pretty much the reason.. Remember, I owed the large Boa as a teenager and I also had a King Snake, an Indigo, and a couple of Pythons..

I also don't think there is any dispute that most snakes are purchased by young men and not woman.. So I might have just a tad more experiance in this then you might think... :P :P :P