NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help T__T Left out? Sad? Grey

Moddy

So.. I got an umbrella cockatoo I haven't spent that much time with him... he's beautiful :) Here's a short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8unVURtcZA

And well my grey.. is already showing signs of uncomfortableness... he's not as comfy with me in his own living room.. and nor in his room which is my room .. The cockatoo tried to climb in his cage I think that got to him we got him out fast though.. and when I scratch him he's looking around parinoid when he used to just enjoy it.. I know it's the first day they need to get used to this.. but i'm just feeling really bad for him.. and the cockatoos scream scares the hell out of him.. anyway to make the first week easier? I'm spending all my time with Tj.. that doesn't seem like enough.. he's been petrifyed for about 30 minutes straight and we're in my room with the door closed.. 30 minutes ago was when the cockatoo screamed.. here's another vid.. but of Tj.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBmx-092__c

Advice T__T suggestions?

Moddy, I enjoyed seeing your clips - very, very sweet - both your cockatoo and TJ.

TJ does seem a bit bewildered indeed... poor guy. He has to get used now to your cocktatoo - just like he had to get used to you and everybody else in the house. Same procedure.

It's funny, but it reminds me a little bit of bringing a new baby home and the little sister/brother not knowing what's happening with all these changes all of a sudden, feeling a bit left out having to share mom's attention.

It will be OK. Give it some time, some processes (like getting used to something) cannot be skipped eventhough you (or me, or anyone) would like it very much, it's necessary to form the basis for future relations ;)

Lol why'd I think I could cheat the process? I'm not even going to read back my first post I had a phone in my ear and was getting ready to go so I have ohh bout 2 minutes. But anyways thanks Fairy I guess I will just go what I normally do and hope he adjusts fasts. Still can't help but feel sorry for him though..

Guest briansmum

fairy is right, lots of patience moddy, you know that though already. i know its hard though sometimes when you want everything to be ok NOW. TJ whistled at the end of the video and that sounded like a happy whistle to me, which sugested he was enjoying your attention. he is probably just a bit mad at you for changing the situation because he thought everything was fine, he may even be thinking he has done something wrong for you to fetch another friend home. lots of extra love, kisses and reassurance for TJ

xxbeccyxx wrote:

.....TJ whistled at the end of the video and that sounded like a happy whistle to me, ........

Yeah, that's what I noticed as well ;)

Wonder how today is going, each day a step closer to being used B)

Well today and yesterday he basically is back to normal.. he's talking up a storm still has the same appitiate.. And he evesdrops on my phone calls.. Everytime i'm on the phone it's him saying "Why, what, huh, ok" :) So things are getting better and i'm glad cause.. well I felt so bad lol.. Still the cockatoo doesn't seem to know that Tj's cage isn't his and that kind of ticks him off but he lives with it.

Moddy wrote:

........he evesdrops on my phone calls.. Everytime i'm on the phone it's him saying "Why, what, huh, ok" :) .........

{Feel-good-0002006E}

Yes when I got my 2nd bird, the 1st one instantly hated me. I had had him for about 3 months and we were getting quite attached what with his constant singing to me and gripping the side of the cage I was facing. It took another 2 months for him to come around back to liking me again. But the other bird he's quite nasty too, he's got a good grudge going on poor little April even to this day.

Now I have the 2 tiels and my Grey. Just those 3 pets takes up massive amounts of my time. I still want a Macaw in a few years but sometimes when caring for these guys I wonder how I could ever manage with 4!

I know some people with 8-9+ parrots.. They love birds but you can tell that if not for their love, there would be no birds at all.

Tari wrote:

You didn't QT the new bird? When is his well bird check up?

Sounds like things are doing good. Never owned a too much to loud but such amazing birds.

Good Luck

The bird is in good health, and his last checkup is when his old owner had him. The only thing he was out due on was a claw trim.

hveusnthbrige wrote:

Yes when I got my 2nd bird, the 1st one instantly hated me. I had had him for about 3 months and we were getting quite attached what with his constant singing to me and gripping the side of the cage I was facing. It took another 2 months for him to come around back to liking me again. But the other bird he's quite nasty too, he's got a good grudge going on poor little April even to this day.

Now I have the 2 tiels and my Grey. Just those 3 pets takes up massive amounts of my time. I still want a Macaw in a few years but sometimes when caring for these guys I wonder how I could ever manage with 4!

I know some people with 8-9+ parrots.. They love birds but you can tell that if not for their love, there would be no birds at all.

These two haven't done anything really bad like biting me.. which i'm glad for.. and well they don't seem to hate eachother, there is just a bit of fear coming from my bird. The cockatoo has been around other birds so he doesn't really care as long as he's getting attention and my dad mostly gives him attention.

Me and my dad would love to have a macaw too, they are really beautiful but right now with all my animals.. especially during summer.. making sure the bunnies don't over heat changing everyone's water several times a day.. I couldn't handle it. ;oo The place we got the umbrella from had 7.. so beautiful.