NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Solo Grey, or a Parrot Room Mate, your vote?

Mingus

My Amazon died (hormonal, age, etc.). While she & Kofi preferred to keep a distance, they seemed happy to have their cages near one another, and talk back and forth. Now Kofi gets 100% of the attention, but he's also left completely alone when I'm at work, the gym, hiking,...

Trying to decide whether to keep things like this, or clean up the empty cage and get a new companion parrot (thinking of a Jardine's, which I've always wanted).

Would love to hear your opions & experiences.

I know how you feel about leaving him on his own for work.. I have to leave Echo when I go out.. so i'm now waiting for my 2nd grey to arrive (3 weeks :woohoo: )

The vet advised if i was to get a different species this would probably be fine as long as it was smaller therfor less imposing on the already existing member. he advised senegals, conures, jardines or amazons..

If.. sorry, WHEN i get more brds in the future, i'd get some of those Sun Conures, they are the most stunning little things you've ever seen. Remind me of a tequila sunrise :blush:

Titch wrote:

If.. sorry, WHEN i get more brds in the future, i'd get some of those Sun Conures, they are the most stunning little things you've ever seen. Remind me of a tequila sunrise :blush:

Sun Conures are beautiful but spend some time around one before you decide. They are extremly loud for such a small bird. I mean ear splitting. The Jardines on the other hand are not as noisy.

Hi Greg, nice to hear from you. Sorry about your Amazon. I have two fids my Grey (11 months) and an Eclectus (10+ years). They aren't lovey dovey but I believe they are good companion for each other. They are both quiet companions. Two are more work, but you already know that, but I believe so worth it.

Chris by all means get you a sun conure, I have one and I love her to bits, yes she can scream but she doesn't do that all day, just at times otherwise she is very quiet. Suns can be quite a clown when they want to be and she stays on my shoulder or hangs off my shirt and sometimes sits on my knee when I am on the computer like right now.

They are very brightly colored but all that yellow and orange doesn't come out until after they go thru a molt or two.

Jardines are very nice parrots. Congratulations! I think that if it is possible.. then it is best that parrots have the company of other parrots when their humans are not present. Afterall they are flock creatures .. so being alone is not very natural for them.{Feel-good-00020114}

EmmaSachiSigImage.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/07/25 22:12