NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

We need advice

Pfccamp

We are adopting a 22 year old Congo this Saturday from a rescue in Michigan. We are very excited we cant wait to welcome our new family member. my question is what steps should i take to make sure he loves and trusts his new family . we have done a lot of research on greys but i want to know from people with real experience thanks a lot<br><br>Post edited by: Pfccamp, at: 2009/07/24 00:11

I have not been in this situation but from what I have read..take things very slowly..give the bird time to adjust before forcing yourself on it..it could take months depending on the bird's prior situation..Patience, patience, patience.

Adopting a pre-owned parrot is a different thing and with it comes some difficulties and situations because the new owner isn't able to understand what they're actually seeing in that parrot. These parrots have usually lived in either one or a few homes in the past. With each home, the parrot develops habits that pertain to what's going on there. Parrots don't forget things very easily and when that parrot moves on to that next home he/she takes those habits with him/her. It's frequently referred to as 'baggage' which involves many aspects of the parrot's personality and habits and ways of thinking. The ideal adoption of a pre-owned parrot is getting one that has no 'baggage', but that's impossible. First of all, the parrot is older and very sure of itself. The 'baggage can't be gotten rid of. Usually, a person that adopts a pre-owned parrot forfeits the experience of that parrot living and acting like a baby. Many people, be they experienced or inexperienced don't have a problem with that phase of ownership. The people who do have a problem are the ones that expect that experience. They don't get that experience. What they do see is an obvious amount of previous 'baggage' and they become disillusioned and many times, the parrot will soon be off to it's next home. The amount of 'baggage' that the parrot stores away when living in that home depends on how long the parrot has lived there. Part of that newly obtained 'baggage' are the personalities of all the different owners and the methods used to make the parrot conform at each home. Again I say, parrots don't forget and they have the natural ability to store away more and more situations. Pre owned parrots need as much time as possible to get used to a new home, new people, new surroundings. Sometimes thaty happens best from the security of a cage or visa versa. Ask as much as you can about the basic personality of the bird. Is he a biter? What foods is he being fed? Is he used to being out of the cage a lot? Was he abused in the past or does he look like he was abused? Is he clipped? Does it look like he's been a caged bird with no freedom in the past?

If you can get some answers to these questions, it'll be easier to proceed from that point on without having to do drastically different things with him.

It's wise to make sure that you give the bird things like different nuts in the beginning all the time. Let him see that you 're being nice to him. Make sure you have some sort of playstand that can be used near his cage if he comes out6. Don't expect your bird to accept things quickly especially greys. Do a lot of talking to him. If there's other members in the family tell them to do a lot of talking too. Don't hide the bird from the activities of the house. Visuals stimulate a bird's brain. For now, that's all I can say until you get the bird until you actually get the bird and post specific things you wanna discuss.

thanks Dave we were told that our Grey was with the same owner for his whole life a 60 year old man the rescue also told me that he talks alot but that if you reach to get him to step up he puts his head down and some times tries to bite. They also said at one time he broke his leg that he favors it. we hope we can make him really happy

It'll take time but remember that we're here for both you and your bird. Having only one previous owner solves a lot of problems already. Lots of questions, explanations and opinions can be gotten on this board. Many people here have adopted older birds and all are ready with their hints and tips to make your situation and the bird's situation much smoother.

I am sure you will provide a great home for this grey if you take the advice of others on this forum, we do have many knowledgeable members who are willing to help you with any problems and the best one is Dave007, he has many, many years of experience and he will tell you like it is.

Why don't you officially introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us some more about you.

congradulations on your new family menber i rescued a older grey a couple years ago. I took her 7 months to start really showing me that she trusted me and ever since then our relation ship has gotten better and better she is funny and sweet she doesn't like allot of cuddles but she does like to be kissed goodnite and have a good scritch from me before bed. She's very smart and asks for many things that she wants like if she want to play with her foot toy but has dropped them she will say need toy's pickup toys and if she needs her water changed she say fresh water. and many many other things. I really hope you enjoy your new companion as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Congratulations on your new grey.It will take time for the grey to adjust to his new home and family.Sometimes it can take months.Be ready to just sit and talk and offer treats to him when he comes home.Let him decide how far he wants to take things.Watch his body language and get to know the little signals that tell you to back off.Feed the same diet he is getting now,plenty of time in the future to change feed if you need to,now is not the time.If you have other birds Quarantein is important.Also a vet check as soon as you can is advisabl, especially if he is favouring one leg,he may be in pain.Please let us all know how you get on .<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/07/25 20:32

we got are new Family member I absolutely love him he is great. he likes me already he puts his head down a little and flutters his wings for me. he is great we are taking him to the vet Monday to have his foot looked at. it don't look good, it was suggested that he might have a club foot. i hope we can get him all better fast we love him already.<br><br>Post edited by: Pfccamp, at: 2009/07/29 20:45

I can only add that that your parrot will need a lot of time, respect, patience, gentleness, encouragement and compassion. Always respect their comfort level and don't be pushy, aggressive or domineering.

I think the upside of getting and older parrot is that you can gage their personality better than if you were to get a baby. My 17 month old african grey is definitely very different today than how she was at 10 weeks old.

Kind of like what you see is what you get. Very often people are so enamored with their baby parrots who tend to be much more submissive and cuddly than a grown up parrot. They expect the parrot to always remain so docile. Unfortunately these people always become disillusioned very quickly because reality always has a way of kicking in.

When the baby parrot becomes older parronts who did not do their homework often blame the parrot for having behaviour problems and give up on them rather than work with them.

it is my opinion that if a parrot is a great pet, it does not happen by sheer coincidence. It occurs with a lot of continuous work and effort.{Feel-good-00020114}

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/07/26 21:41<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/07/26 21:42

I agree I work allot with my older birds and it show in the way they interact with me. To me they are all baby's that need love and nurturing to become the best they can be. I don't know all of the details of the abuse that my rescues endured before I got them and it doesn't matter to me. I love them and treat them all the same with love and patients and quality one on one time on a daily basis. its amazing how an animal will respond to you when you feel genuine love for them they can sense and in time will return that love ten fold.