NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do I Or Don't I ?

Poppy

Well on the 31st July George is going to be boarded at a well known international vets called Alan Jones so I know he will be well looked after and treated like royalty ! I have a desciion to make .............

Do I ............ Have him miocrochipped whilst there ?

And .... Do i have him DNAed ???

Altnough no really bothered I am intrigued to know what sex he his !

My other question is cause he is a rehomed Grey ( and so adored) will it maybe give me a truer age then the rough one I got now ?

And is it really nessecary to put him through this ?

I would really like your thoughts on this

Thanks

Personally I would not get my grey microchipped.

It is mandatory for all dogs here, so my puppy got done and I watched. They say the chip is only about the size of a grain of rice, but the size of the needle used to insert is frikken HUGE. And because it has to go underneath the skin, the needle gets pushed in quite deep, and it left a big hole that bled for ages. I was not impressed, and neither was my puppy. It was very evident it hurt her, the way she yelped and whined.

The upside of chipping of course is that should your bird escape, and be found by someone who takes her to a vet, it will be easier to identify the owner.

I don't think DNA testing will give you more of an idea of age, it is purely a chromosome counting exercise that tells you gender.

If you think it will put your mind at ease if you microchip then I say go for it I am personalyholding out for the micro chip that has a GPS my vet figuers its only about 5 years away at least that way I can track my bird should they ever get lost. and as for DNA you can usually get an Idea of what they are by there actions I got Adaya done as a baby but if I got her as an older bird I wouldn't bother because you can usually tell what sex they are when the hormones kick in.