NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Kind of like Houdini

skmunson

Okay. Last evening Benji was out of his cage hanging with the family. I was cleaning his cage and took the fresh food bowl out to clean it. I didn't put it back in b/c he ate dinner out of the cage and I wasn't putting any fresh food back in until this a.m. Of course, he had his pellets.

Apparently, I didn't latch the food door where the bowl was missing. This side of the cage is like two inches from the wall and the gap without pulling the cage from the wall is like maybe an inch or so.

Anyway--I'm sure you see this coming--when I came down this a.m. he wasn't in his cage. But there he was, sweet little boy, perched right beside his cage on his mobile perch which is sitting on the dining room table.

There is no poop anywhere so I'm assuming he made his escape right b/f I came downstairs. He probably woke up, went to look for breakfast and discovered the gap and--with some great flexibility, wriggled out of the cage.

I am so glad he didn't get into anything while he was out. And he was so sweet just sitting there like a big boy on his perch waiting for me to come down.

Obviously, the lesson is to double check the cage doors; but, I'm also really proud of how good he was.

Oh what a little stinker Benji is!!!!! :ohmy: As a heads up, I read in a bird book or magazine to always keep a bowl in the bowl openings because birds can get caught in the food guard if the bowl is removed. Benji is so curious and mischievous I thought I'd just pass that info on. Can't wait to hear more about your little Houdini. He sounds like a real fun grey!!!

LOL - Dayo opens his everytime I take a bowl out, then does somersaults through the ring the bowl sits in. One note on the bowl rings, they are 4 inches in diameter and their is no chance of Dayo getting stuck. A macaw would, but not a Grey.

I have forgotten once or twice to place the bowl back in and he's back out and flying in no time finding us....

These birds are just too smart sometimes for their own god. :P