NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gracie Lovebird Died

rbpittman

I'm not sure what happened, or how, or why, but Gracie the Lovebird has died. I came out this morning and gave everyone their breakfast, fresh water and changed paper and all seemed well. Just before I had to leave for school (around noon) my son found Gracie in her bed, in a very bad state. She passed at 12:15 p.m., I didn't even have time to consider getting her to the AV (30 miles away).

She had been trying to build a nest, but without knowing what sex (I'm assuming a she) I have no clue as to what could have caused her to suddenly become ill. She had not exhibited any signs at all of illness and was her normal neurotic self, chattering, eating, pooping and tearing apart her pinata.

We are very sad, as is George, her cage mate.

--

Robin, Paul, Dixie, Stering and George.

Thank you all for your kind words. Paul has been heartbroken all day. To make things worse, it happened just before his birthday (today).

George appears to be handling things ok, as well as Dixie and Sterling. Yesterday when I told them all that Gracie was gone, instead of their usual antics on/in their cages, I was met with quiet birds whose only words were "I Love You!" Whether they knew what was really being said or not, it was most appropriate and very much appreciated. Dixie's vocabulary is much larger than Sterling's but they both said it and nothing else.

George is eating and pooping normally, although yesterday he did call out for Gracie vigorously yesterday afternoon. I know he is as heartbroken as we are.

--

Robin

• 1 month later...

I was sorry to hear about Gracie. Terri and I lost Mali due to similar causes about the end of June for similar causes. She was at a point in her cycle where she was laying and she didn't become egg bound, but had an egg not form all the way and go bad inside of her. The avian vet told us there was nothing we could have done or anticipated that could have stopped or reversed the process and it all happened SO fast. She was gone in a very short time.

So don't blame yourself. I know that is a temptation, and we all second guess ourselves. Don't beat yourself up. Just enjoy to good memories.

How is your flock doing?<br><br>Post edited by: harmonicaman68, at: 2009/08/29 12:03