NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Vet cost??

animalINSPIRED

It all depends, anything could happen where you would need some blood work and I agree its the most expensive thing!! When I took Ecko to his well check for the basics like gram stain, culture and sensitivity test and something else I forgot, it cost $200. We went for a follow up and that cost $100. They gave me a price quote for some blood tests they do on common diseases and it was about $250-$350!! I am sure every vet has different prices but let me tell you they are expensive! So be prepared! ;)

http://avianbiotech.com/Links_Vets.htm

Heres a link to search for vets in your area. It would be best to call them and ask yourself the prices of vet checks on birds.

Veterinarians generally recommend that pet birds have an annual physical examination – which includes routine diagnostic tests, in particular, a fecal Gram’s stain, complete blood cell count (CBC) and serum chemistry panel. This can cost anywhere from $100 to $200 per year, per bird. But vet prices do vary and it may not be necessary to get all of these tests every year. Many people do this every few years. It's up to the owner.

It depends on the vet,some are more expensive than others.I was amazed the other week when my tiel got scared by a cat while out in the aviary and got a few scrapes, it was Sunday afternoon and only an emergency vet available.I was expecting a hugh bill and she only charged me £18.How good was that.She was also telling me about her own parrots who she rescued and was very confident and calm while checking Cracker out.I was impressed.Not least by the cost.my own avian vet charges about £150 for routine blood work.

I have been keeping birds for more than a year. I have not spent a single cent on vet fee coz there isn't any avian vet in the city. Avian vets work in the zoo or bird parks in my country. They don't open clinics. And the zoo or the bird parks won't allow outside birds into their premise for the fear of bird flu. So there is no treatment for our fids. We have to keep our finger cross nothing would happen to them.

I take my birds in for a check up every year I usually just get a gram stain done and then every 2nd year get the works I don't feel that a full blood work up is necessary every year I feed a good diet and keep them nice and clean they are very healthy and happy if I suspect that something is wrong then I will do a work up on that specific bird but with a flock as large as mine it would cost a fortune to get them all done every year it costs 55.00 just to have my vet take a look at my birds never mind treatment. If I was breeding birds I would have blood work done every year because its necessary but as far as my pets are concerned I don't feel blood work is necessary every year

That's what we normally do with our sugar gliders. We do bloodwork every other year to make sure they are healthy, unless something comes up and then they go in for immediate treatment!

I have contacted someone about an 18 mnth old CAG, but he would have to ship him in order for me to get him. I'm not very familiar with the idea of shipping birds...

I use Dr Lennox:

Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic

www.birddr.com

9330 Waldemar Rd

Indianapolis, IN 46268-1134

(317) 879-8633

I heartily recommend her.

Another choice, but I can't personally vouch for her is

Dr Cook

Cicero Veterinary Clinic

317-984-9327

I'm in the Geist area! So nice to see someone next door on the forum. Send me a PM!

Dave