NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello All

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Robin and I'm very interested in getting an african grey. I've been curious about these creatures for a while now but my interest has grown recently. I've been doing a lot of research and this forum seems like a wonderful place to learn.

A few questions- my hubby is a welder so him making a custom cage for our future grey is a definite possiblity. I'd still have to research bird safe materials(unfortunately he has no access to medical grade stainless steel) but if you were to design a cage, what features would you recommend? It'd a bit hard never owning a big parrot before.

Also-we have an 8 year old husky(Thor). Thor is pretty docile and obedient but I'd still watch him like a hawk and not leave the bird alone with him...how did you guys handle having a big dog interested in your parrot?

Finally- We are planning on starting a family in the future- no kids right now, probably start trying after 1 year or so. I plan on making a full commitment to this parrot and not putting him out after we have a baby- I bet that is a common thing. does anyone have any advice on that situation or experienced it themselves?

Sorry for the long post:) Looking forward to the responses!

Hello Robin and welcome to our family, we are so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and your future grey.

This forum has about all the information you will need to know to get started on a lifetime living with a grey in the house and we have many knowledgeable members who are willing to share what they know with the rest of us.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

I am not sure about your hubby making a stainless steel cage, it would probably be just as cheap or maybe cheaper to just buy one ready made, they come in such different styles and colors, just make sure it is big enough so they can flap their wings inside and not touch the sides.

Many members have dogs and cats that share the houshold, you just have to supervise any out of cage time when the other animals are around but some of them do get along pretty well with their birds.

I am glad to hear you are making a full committment to this grey, many people think that once a human baby is introduced then it is time for the parrot to go. The important thing is to not spend any more time now with your bird, that is after you get it, than you think you will spend after a baby comes so there is not a loss of attention to the parrot but many greys are in homes with children and they co-exist nicely.

Welcome Robin!!

It's GreYt having you here. :-)

I would just buy a cage online once you decide you are definitely going to get a Gray. It will be cheaper and done right with all the necessary access doors, food cups, bottom grate and tray etc. It will probably also be cheaper and save a lot of cussing on your husbands part trying to build it. :-)

Looking forward to hearing more from you.