NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Grey and other pets

chinsNdobermans

So, as I said in my intro, we have a plethora of other pets in my home. The chinchillas have their own building but the dogs and cats live in the actual house. We also are a foster home for dog rescue and sometimes have foster dogs living with us.

How do Greys do in a house with other pets? What sorts of precautions do you take to keep them, and your other pets, safe and happy? How do you acclimate both the bird and the others to each other and to what extent do you let them interact (if any)?

Thanks in advance for your answers! :)

Greys are all individual,some can cope in a busy home full of other pets, most are shy and timid and dont like it.I think introducing other pets to birds needs to be done at an early age so it becomes the norm.Any interaction with other pets if allowed at all needs to be very closely supervised.

It's wonderful that you rescue dogs. One word of caution though, as I am sure you know. Your bird can not be allowed any new rescues that are of unknown temperament. Your grey for the most part, I would suspect will be nature try to stay high and away from your dogs. Unless it has built-up a good relationship with a dog previously, which even then, must be monitored closely at all times.

Thanks! When I have a foster dog here, which isn't often, they are treated like a member of my family to an extent. Foster dogs aren't allowed in the chinchilla building and wouldn't be allowed near the bird.

I am guessing the best thing for me to do would be to get bird young so it could build up a relationship with existing household pets and become familiar with them, right? I know older Greys can be skittish.

Yes, a younger Grey may be more trusting if raised around other critters.

Still though, you may find your Dogs will not be friendly towards them. YOu just never know and can never fulling trust that relationship with out very close supervision. There are some very tragic stories of dogs and cats that had a very close relationship with a bird and one day just decided to bite them, which does not work well with a bird. It is normally life ending.

i can leave my cat and the grey in the room by themselves now,

yes i know i shouldn't really but they've worked things out between them and they now have a mutual understanding to leave eachother alone!

bearing in mind i used to have pet rats that chased my cat off the sofa,

stupid cat lol