NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I did it!

JungleDreamz

So I finally got up the guts to order a feather DNA sexing kit...I dont care what Ecko is...He or she is such a love...I was afraid to get one cuz I call him a boy and stuff, and I was afraid it would be like having to get to know him all over again as a girl, But now I know it will be fine...I feel it will allow me to get to know him or her even more, Not always wondering what He or she is...

I am a little worried if it is a girl about egg laying, I have a lovebird that went through a chronic egg laying stage, I know It is so hard for their little bodies to produce eggs all the time...Is it differant with African Greys? Have any of you dealt with chroic egg laying in your greys?

I have a dna'd female but she is only 3 years old so I have no experience with any egg laying but others here have been thru it before. It is something you want to discourage if possible as it does take some of their energy and nutrients to lay and of course there is always the possibility of egg binding. I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Maybe some of the members who have experience will share what they know but I know if they do start laying eggs you will have to provide more calcium for them.

It will be interesting to find out if Ecko is a boy or not, let us know as soon as you find out.

How exciting! Definately let us know when you find out...

I also have no experience with an egg laying grey...Chimay is a DNA'd male so unless we expand into the realm of multiple birds down the line (or unless Chimay's test was wrong :blink: ) we'll likely never come across that scenario.

Well this will be interesting to read later when more members add their thoughts on this egg laying subject.

Dalia my CAG is a dna'd female as well however, she is not even a year yet. So I would love to learn all that I can about this before she lays eggs. ( WHENEVER THAT WILL BE)

Im not gonna lie im a little scared of the things that may go wrong.

Is there any way to prevent things from going wrong?

Cristen

If you run a search in the forum just on the word "egg" there are a ton of threads you can read through from people asking about egg laying/binding/nesting/etc. Also some interesting stories/pics from those who've had greys surprise them with eggs! Even though my Chimay's a boy I still find them interesting reads.

Thanks Guys!

Yeah I cant wait now...But Yeah Thats all I am worried about, The breeder said that lovebirds are worse for going through "chronic" egg laying, Like no matter what she would just lay an egg like everyday for like 2 years (yeah that bad) and trust me I did EVERYTHING, I tried to let her sit them, That didnt work, Then I would take them out when she would lay them, that didnt work, Took all of anything that could be used to make a nest, That didnt work, She would just saw off the wood from her perches...But finally one day she just stopped, YAY! So anyway, I just wondered what others thought on the subject, You know if Greys are just as prone to it as lovebirds.

I mean of course it doesnt matter...I will love her just as much if its a girl...Just something I was curious about.