NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

who shampoo's their birds?

Codys Mom

I was at the bird store today getting more formula for Rudy and one of the guys that works there ask me if I wanted some shampoo for Rudy, I just looked at him and said what, he is telling me that I should shampoo her/him at least once a month, I replied I will have to think about that one and let u know

so does anyone shampoo their birds, I have a shower filter on my shower head so that cuts down the chlorine big time and I also use aloe vera mixed with warm water when needed, to me that seems like enough ok opinions and thoughts please?

also I have been handfeeding Rudy 3 times a day and she will be 10 weeks old this friday her weights have been 250grams before her morning meal and 283 afterwards at night she has been 261 before and 292.5 after , does thoose sound like good weights, I'am hopeing to cut her down to 2 handfeedings starting saturday so I can get her to eat more pellets and fruits and veggies, she hasn't been to good on eating pellets and so so on the fruits and veggies

As far as weight--it really depends upon what size catagory your bird is in, sm, med,lg boned. If you haven't had any problems with the bird so far, then what you're doing is fine but you can offer a bit more at each feeding and if she accepts it, that's fine too. Don't cut down on the amounts of feedings you give because of a time schedule. Some birds will eat formula for longer periods and there's nothing wrong with that. Abundance feeding methods should be used. When a bird constantly refuses a certain feeding during the day, it's time to reduce the amounts of feedings. That's a safe way to go.

As far as shampooing with any commercial product--commercial products have chemicals in them. The guy there was simply told to try and sell the item. Stick with water and aloe. That's the safest way to go. Birds aren't shampooed with anything. The only time something similar like that happens, it's being done by a vet for a particular reason.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/16 04:37

ty all I kinda figured the shampoo was a gimik because I only spent the 12.00 for the formula and plus I had a dollar cupon to boot,so I guess I didn't spend enough cash for him lol

on the feedings I'am just going to try 2 feedings a day if she wants that afternoon feeding am sure she will let me know and no problem with her haveing it she can have all the formula she wants,I'am not on any time schedule , when she is ready thats fine , maybe I should have bought the 5lb bag u think, she sure does love her formula, she took extra today and tonight about 70cc's, she is a little piggy lol , but omg I love my Rudy

This topic had me intrigued, so once again I surfed the net:

http://www.stuff4birds.com/shampoo.htm

This stuff contains pyrethrins. This from Wikipeadia: "The pyrethrins are a pair of natural organic compounds that have potent insecticidal activity." "Pyrethrins are used in many varieties of insecticide, fogging products and in some pet products.

Care should be taken when using this substance around humans and animals. Overdose and toxicity can result in a variety of symptoms, especially in pets, including drooling, lethargy, muscle tremors, vomiting, seizures and death.[5] Toxicity symptoms in humans include asthmatic breathing, sneezing, nasal stuffiness, headache, nausea, incoordination, tremors, convulsions, facial flushing and swelling, and burning and itching sensation.[6].

Pyrethrin is extremely toxic to aquatic life, such as bluegill and lake trout while it is slightly toxic to bird species, such as mallards. Toxicity increases with higher water temperatures and acidity. Natural pyrethrins are highly fat soluble, but are easily degraded and thus do not accumulate in the body. These compounds are toxic to bees also"

The other ingredient is Piperonyl butoxide: (PBO is a pesticide synergist. It does not, by itself have pesticidal properties. However, when added to insecticide mixtures, typically pyrethrin, pyrethroid, and carbamate insecticides, their potency is increased considerably.

And dimethicone is a form of silicone.

The rest of bird shampoo related products I found contain a variety of oils, aloe vera, vitamins for conditioning and many different chemicals as preservatives. Products as being marketed to get rid of "birdie smell" and "dandruff".

Given a bird's delicate and sensitive respiratory system, there is no way I'd go anywhere near my flock with pesticides, especially not crap that is marketed as "shampoo" that can be used on a regular basis. And as to why anyone would want to put silicone on a bird's feathers is beyond me.

I have checked with the vet some time ago as I heard that some people use baby J&J shampoo on their parrot. Well the vet says that I can do that only if ts really necesary, in case kookie gets some real dirt on him like food sauce or oil cos this is dangerous if it stays on his skin and feathers. He also explained that if I need to do it, I have to dilute it by adding one tea spoon to half leter of water in a spray bottle and use it (only if its really necessary) but whats also important is to wash it off really well with warm water. Make sure to rinse really well in case you use it cos you dont want residue on his skin to irritate him.

{Nature-00020095}

Wow I read that description on the "shampoo"....there's no possible WAY I'd let that crap get anywhere near my baby. I understand the need to resort to more drastic measures in the case of an emergency (i.e. oil) but no way on a regular basis would I use it.

I'll stick w/the aloe vera juice :)

Birds are pretty much self-cleaning aren't they? They produce a little oil to condition the feathers, and powder for grooming and waterproofing.

And in any case, if anyone's bird happens to be SO covered in oil or other hard to remove stuff that it needs shampooing, one has to ask if that person really should own a parrot if it is allowed to romp without supervision in a place that has not been made safe.