NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

More SAD NEWZ FROM THE LAB

Guest jamalbirdbiz

Guest jamalbirdbiz

There are two more greyz being tested in the lab by the same woman who tested that really smart bird whoze on youtube asking to be put back in his cage. We need to put a stop to this. Molly and Marvin wud never agree to being uzed as lab experamentz so why shud these other two birdz be forced to live out there livez in a lab.

This Pepper woman needz to stop her experamentz cuz she iz tellling uz thingz we all ready know and her experamentz are doing nothing for the birdz, but stressing them out. Let other parrrot people know that thiz is still happening and hopefullly we can put an end to the mind less testing that is going on.

Guest jamalbirdbiz

To watch alex at work go to: Alex The Talking Parrot on youtube. it is very sad. he is badly plucked. :(

jamalbirdbiz

I really can't understand why you make statements without checking all things out first. Someone here already posted a link concerning a big conversation we had here a while back about Dr Pepperburg and Alex yet you simply ignore what people say. You look on You Tube, find material concerning the woman and then insult her here. You know absolutely nothing about the scientific work that was done with her and her bird. If you go back to the link you originally posted today, you'll see huge amounts of videos concerning the good things she's doing including some new birds that she has. She has never stressed out any bird she's owned and you have absolutely no proof that she ever did but you still say things like this. She treated her birds much better than most of us could treat our birds. There were many people there that deeply cared for Alex including her. They're still there and giving the same care to her new birds.

Please, stop making statements that are only making you look foolish and ignorant. If you don't want to have people think of you as being foolish and ignorant, stop acting that way. You're not doing yourself any good here by saying things you know nothing about.

PS--Just to increase your very limited knowledge of Alex--Dr Pepperburg got the bird when he was 2 1/2 yrs old. He plucked some of his feathers before she got him and Alex continued to pluck some of his feathers throughout his life. It's called chronic plucking and nothing can stop it. Alex lived until he was 31 yrs old and died from a common condition called hardening of the arteries which many people also can die from. One day he was fine, the next day he was dead. See, you actually learned something scientific right now.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/16 02:31

You might also consider reading the book Alex & Me by Dr. Irene Pepperberg. It is a nice read and more insightful about the close relationship they had. She loved him very much and probably more than anyone else in the world.

Jamal,

Stop spreading hate about Dr. Pepperberg and consider educating yourself ALOT more about her research and contribution to all of us.

Forgive the spam please guys. Jamal, this is directly copied and pasted from The Alex Foundation website:

http://www.alexfoundation.org/support_research.html)

The Alex Foundation Research Publications

Dr. Irene Pepperberg has been studying the intelligence and reasoning abilities of the African Grey parrot for almost 30 years. She has published consistently and extensively in some of the most highly respected scientific journals in her field.

Below is a partial list of her papers that can be downloaded in PDF format, requiring Acrobat Reader for viewing. If you don’t already have Acrobat Reader, you can download it for free by clicking here.

These papers are being provided for private use only, and cannot be published or reprinted without the express permission of the publisher. Quotes from these articles can be used only within the specifications of each publisher. Please consult the individual publishers about their particular guidelines.

This list of papers available for downloading will be expanded as time permits.

We think you’ll enjoy reading the work of Dr. Pepperberg, her work that has demonstrated the amazing intelligence of African Grey parrots to the scientific world.

Publications:

Pepperberg, I.M., Vicinay, J., Cavanagh, P. (2008) The Müller-Lyer illusion is processed by a Grey Parrot (Psittacus erithacus). Perception 37:765-781.

Pepperberg, I.M. (2007a). Grey parrots do not always ‘parrot’: Phonological awareness and the creation of new labels f rom existing vocalizations. Language Sciences 29: 1-13.

Pepperberg, I.M. (2006a). Ordinality and inferential abilities of a Grey Parrot (Psittacus erithacus). Journal of Comparative Psychology, 120: 205-216.

Pepperberg, I.M. (2006b). Grey Parrot (Psittacus erithacus) numerical abilities: addition and further experiments on a zero-like concept. Journal of Comparative Psychology, 120: 1-11.

Pepperberg, I.M., and Gordon, J.D. (2005). Number Comprehension by a Grey Parrot (Psittacus erithacus), Including a Zero-Like Concept. Journal of Comparative. Psychology, 2005, Vol. 119, No. 2, 197-209

Pepperberg, I.M. (2001). Lessons from cognitive ethology: Animal models for ethological computing. Proceedings of the First Conference on Epigenetic Robotics, C. Balkenius, J. Zlatev, H. Kozima, K. Dautenhahn, & C. Breazeal, Eds., Lund University Cognitive Science Series No. 85, Lund, Sweden, http://www.lucs.lu.se/Abstracts/LUCS_Studies/LUCS85.html (online only)

Pepperberg, I.M., Willner, M.R., and Gravitz, L.B. (1997). Development of Piagetian object permanence in a Grey parrot (Psittacus erithacus). J. Comp. Psych. 111:63-75.

If you take a look at the names of the publications, it will give a very good idea of what was researched and what was learnt, IF you can understand the big words used.

Some of the things Alex was able to do was differentiate between different colours, shapes, sizes and textures. An example of that was Alex asking for a "long yellow", by which he meant a banana.

"We" are not going to put a stop to Dr Pepperberg's work. In any case, all the information contained in the reply post were already covered, which indicated to me you are either stupid or just looking to stir up trouble. In either case, and I only speak for myself here, why don't you go away for a very long time and perhaps put your time into something useful (maybe read some of Dr Peppperberg's work) before dribbling out useless and inflammatory comments.

If you hate what she is doing so much then why do you own a grey. You do exactly the same thing with your grey in your home. You force it to live it's life in your home, you have it in a cage, you teach it to do things that you want it to do, you teach it words, tricks, to know what ceratin objects are.

So basically you are doing the same thing that she is doing, so stop with this nonsense.

Jamal, I have to say I'm wondering the same thing...I've consistantly seen posts from you that are "half cocked" with no research having been done. I think what puzzles me and actually UPSETS me more is that you are not posing QUESTIONS about these topics. You are expressing strong opinion on things you clearly know nothing about. HAD you done any research you would have know that Griffin and Wart have been with Dr P with some time and even spent time with Alex before he died. I know that I personally HAVE responded to your "parrotz in the lab" thread (seriously, what is up with all of the z's?) recommending Dr. P's book Alex & Me, as others have done in this thread, AND suggested that you research first.

Do you really think that Alex became "that really smart bird" all on his own? No. That was Dr. Pepperburg's tireless care, attention and REEEESSSEARRRCH!!!!!!!!!!

Frankly, if you are so clearly against educating yourself on the matter but still feel the need to thrust your hateful message on others then no one in this forum really needs to waste their time arguing the point with you. It is obvious that it will always fall on deaf ears.

This will be my last response to any thread that you begin Jamal...<br><br>Post edited by: chimaysmommy, at: 2009/07/16 17:56

I think that it is a good decision to not delete this thread. It serves as information for those who browse through the forum without posting. Alot of you may have covered this topic many times in the past to the point of ad nauseum but for many people it will be the first time. It was my first time. For future readers it will be a FIRST also.