NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cleo rediscovering the joys of cuddling

Azzie

Cleo (at 6.5 months) has rediscovered the joys of snuggling.

Her latest thing over the last few days is to squat or lie down between my neck and shoulder when I'm reclining in a chair, and push herself into me. She then puts her head so far back the top of her head is almost touching her back.

I then cup her head with one hand so it's completely covered, with my fingers gently holding her beak, and with the other hand gently stroke her throat, the sharp tip of her breastbone and that vulnerable looking spot right under her lower beak. She so seems to love having her beak touched and rubbed.

She stays like this until I have to shift because I'm getting cramps.

I hope I am not promoting sexual behaviours by rubbing and touching her beak. Can someone please shed some light on this for me?

I do know when she wants to play rough, she likes for me to "beak wrestle" with her - grabbing her beak and gently shaking it and making grabbing motions at it whilst growling at her.

God...if some of my friends could see me do that they'd think I had gone insane.

no its fine my birds all love beaky rubs head and face and neck scritces. are are also fine. minamal touching of wings and under the wing in case something is wrong you need to be able to touch your bird all over but no petting of the wings or under them or their tail and vent area

Really?! No Petting under the wings??? Uh oh, Lol...I know Ecko is not even a full 5 months yet, but I pet him under the wings a lot....Should I stop this? Or is it not a problem till they have reached sexual maturity?

And Azzie: Congrats on having such a sweet snuggly baby! My Ecko likes that too, I gently grab his beak and say "I got your beak" haha, He loves it ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about petting them under the wings at his age, its when they are older and getting into puberty that it can become a problem, I say if your grey lets you touch him all over keep doing it. My Josey loves her beak gently rubbed also.