NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

NEED ADVICE!!

bonek

I am thinking about adopting a 15 year old female African Grey Congo. I want to know everything about a bird that age.

1)Are they still teachable?

2)Can they still have babies?

3)Can they still play?

4)Can she get along with my 3 year old male Congo?

5)Will she like me as the owner when she has been with another owner (which was a women) for so long?

{Characters-0002005F}

{Nature-00020095}

All of these things that you ask I have to say yes to except mabie the last it may take some time for her to come around to likeing you and bonding with you. Tyco was apparently a mans bird in fact the guy who sold her to me said he wouldn't sell her to me because I was a female. I had to get her out of the hell hole she was living in so I lied and said it was a gift for my husband. She liked me from the start but it took about 7 months for her to allow me to touch her feathers and give her scritches. if you have lots of patients and love anything is possible enjoy your new found friend if you do decide to take her. you never know if this woman has had her since she was a baby she may just bond toyou imediatly as a mate potetial.

Kenz, I don't think getting a bird that plucks will make your grey pluck as they usually pluck themselves for a reason and not as a copycat.

The difficult thing is we can't really tell you what will happen if you get another grey as they each have their own personalities that make them individuals.

If you really want this grey and think you have the time and patience to work with this bird then by all means get it, chances are they won't get along with each other but they could co-exist in the same house, they would just have to be a certain distance from one another.

Older birds certainly can learn new things but have babies, no way, you have to have a mate for them and provide certain conditions and pet greys do not make breeder birds, being a female she might lay an egg or two but thats all.

Older greys will still want to play but maybe not as much as younger ones but certainly provide all opportunities for it.

As Pat has already said, this grey may take a liking to you right from the start or it may take a while, maybe a good long while but this is where time and lots of patience comes in.

I hope you do decide to get this grey and let us know what you decide to do.

My Josey and my sun conure do not get along but as long as I keep a little distance between them then all is fine, I never let them get close enough that one could get in a bite but sometimes I do have both of them on my shoulders, one on each, and as long as they stay on their side then I have no problem.

So it kind of sounds like you are thinking of getting this grey.

hi judy I am so sad hear that(My Josey and my sun conure do not get along)so did you have solution for that,beside keep the distance???{Characters-0002005F} I scared that happen to me if I adopt that bird 15 years old...{Nature-00020095}<br><br>Post edited by: bonek, at: 2009/07/14 21:28

Are they still teachable?

Well, that depends upon what you mean by teachable. Many birds that age have been taught to do basic things from others and if you try to teach certain things that a bird will not accept than you need to stop and simply accept the bird the way it is. A pre owned bird has habits which can't be changed or altered.

A quick example----talking. If that bird has never been a talker, more than likely, it will never be a talker no matter what you do.

Can they still have babies?

Only special parrots have babies and they're usually not pets. They only care for each other and really don't want to get close to people. Those greys are called breeder greys. Your bird was brought up to be a pet bird.

Can they still play?

As was said before, older greys don''t play as much as very young greys. They become quieter and less active but they do need things around that they can chew on and knock around.

Can she get along with my 3 year old male Congo?

That's an impossible question to answer. Maybe they will or maybe not. Has to do with personalities. All have their own personalities. The only thing that's similar is the color of their feathers.

The one thing you do need to know is that they both have to be kept in separate cages.

Will she like me as the owner when she has been with another owner (which was a women) for so long?

Again, an impossible question to answer. Maybe yes, maybe no. Only when you have the bird for a while will you be able to find that out. No matter how the bird feels, you'll need to accept the bird because of the permanent personality that it has. Being owned by a woman doesn't mean it won't like you though.

As far as other people here that have birds of different species not liking each other, that's not a big deal. Loads of people here have different species of birds that don't get along with each other. Many people here have greys that also don't get along with each other. So, adjustments have to be made to deal with each bird individually.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/14 22:07<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/14 22:31

I think its a challenge and if you do have the time and the will...well it can be surprising. A friend of mine has a 17 year old CAG who plays a lot and still learns new tricks and words, as long as my friend spends time with him, he is eager to learn new things.

Good Luck{Nature-00020095}