NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I didn't think this through! (Long post)

Acappella

Ok, so what happens when you have a bird that never wants to leave his cage, and you buy that bird a super great cage with lots of room? He never ever ever leaves his cage. At least with the old cage he would come out to one of his exterior perches. Then I could put my arm between him and the cage. That's the only way the stubborn little monkey would step up.

I really tried working with him over the winter. When I did get him off his cage I took him into my room, where I have a huge tricked out play stand for him, or upstairs while I did dishes, into the bathroom when I showered, trying to show him that there is a world beyond his cage. I thought we were making progress, until I got this new cage. Now, no dice. He's realized that he is more vulnerable when he's outside the cage, so the only time he comes out now is at bed time, which is the only time I want him inside the cage:evil:

His old cage is sitting outside on my back deck waiting for him, but to get him there I'd have to not only get him off his caqe, but into a pet carrier to take him safely outside and put him in the outside cage. I can just imagine how well that would go over! When I try to sit outside I get major guilt because he just calls me, getting louder and more angry by the minute because I'm not going to him.

I'm at a total loss here guys. I can't force a step-up from inside the cage because he can always twist around and grab a bar or perch with his feet or beak. Toweleing him to get him out won't do much to convince him leaving his cage is a good thing. It breaks my heart that he was so completley confined for the first five years of his life that he may never enjoy exploring his world. Thanks for letting me vent. You guys are my sanity when it comes to dealing with my stubborn birdie.

We used to smear honey on our wrist to get our rescue to step up. He would be so busy eating the honey that he didnt notice that we were walking around the house with him till it was too late. He is great now thouhg. You may try honey, jelly or some other smearable treat.

You have to take the cage away completely for at least a couple weeks put a perch somewhere up high in a corner for a sleep perch and then if you want in a couple weeks you can give him back his cage for a sleep cage. I know this can be hard but you'll have to bird proof 1 room in your house with a play stand and lots todo for when you go out so I doesn't get into mischeif but if he is truly cage bound then he probubly won't venture to far from his playstand because of that. I have a macaw that was totaly cage bound and it works he really enjoys being out and away from his cage. he now uses his cage as a sleep cage but its just an empty cage with no toys.

How about if you slowly conditioned him to outside the cage. Instead of taking him to another room when you get him off the cage..try staying in the room with the cage in sight for a while until he enjoys being off the cage but still has it in sight for security and then gradually getting him further from it.

As for getting him out of the cage..Can you lure him out with his favorite treat. Only use that treat for getting out. Also take all perches out except for one until he learns to step up.

When out of cage put him on floor and work on step up until it is automatic for him to step up when you say it. Use lots of praise and treats when he obeys.

Of course you have to leave food in the cage when you are gone but when home remove the food so he has to come out to eat. Feed him on a nearby playstand so that he associates it with being fed. Feed the good stuff at this time.<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/07/12 17:08

Whats the rush?

if he was cage bound for the 1st 5yrs then he's obviously going to be petrified of comming out.

i'm no expert as i've not had this problem but the way i see it if he doesn't want to come out don't force him.

obviously it would be great to see him out his cage but whose benefit would it be for, his or yours?

the way i see it, if you keep his cage open whenever your there with his favourite stuff just outside it, one day curiosity might get the better of him and come out of his own free will.

i'f there's one thing i learnt very quickly is that i can't force tigerlily to do anything, it has to be on her terms otherwise it damages our relationship, she gets stressed out and i blead to death;)

if he's healthy and happy in his cage, open the door but leave him be to take things at his own pace.

If you want him to discover the world outside the cage, just take him out of the cage and put him on the cage then simply close the cage door so he can't get back in. Open it when you're ready to let him back in. After a while he'll check out things out of the cage or he may just sit on the cage. Keep small things out of the cage that he shows interest in when in the cage. Put a couple of honey sticks out of the cage. He may decide to eat them, maybe not. Using trickery doesn't make a bird come out of a cage if he wants to stay in it. You're the one who feels uncomfortable for the bird but understand that he also wants to feel comfortable during the day and that cage is his comfort zone. Think about all the people who have huge troubles putting their birds back in the cage. Toweling him shouldn't be done except as an emergency or when serious things need to be done such as clipping claws or visits to a vet. Most birds don't like towels especially older ones.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/12 18:00

If he were truly happy being in his cage all the time I'd leave it be. Problem is he also wants to be with me at all times. This isn't much of a problem during the winter because I am inside most of the time, downstairs where his cage is. Once the warm weather arrives I have more to do outside. When Dorian can hear that I'm in and out of the house, but not coming down to be with him, first he gets needy, then bossy, then mad as ____. He works himself into such a state he's impossible to be around. Since I'm unable and unwilling to spend our too short summer downstairs with him, the best way to serve his need to be with me would be to take him around with me. I love the little goofball with all my heart, and I'm trying to find a way to make both of us happy.