NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Grey Owner

Just adopted 1 yr old Grey. They think he is a male. his name is Casper and we decided to keep it the same. he looks bit shy and was approaching 10pm central time so we decided to cover him up for the night. i will post some pictures tomorrow when i get to interact with him. i am sure i will get great deal of knowledge about them here so i will be a frequent visitor. that's my intro...

i am in process of uploading some pictures from my phone. i was in a rush last night(just pure joy and excitement) and even misspelled his name. "JASPER" is correct name. thanks for the welcome! pics will be posted in few minutes. enjoy!

excuse the noise on the picture. it is off of my phone.

i hope i resized to forum specs. let me know if i violated forum policy as i know different forums have different photo posting rules. perhaps i should read

IMG00011-1.jpg

IMG00013.jpg

IMG00006.jpg

IMG00009.jpg

IMG00010.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: mi4dub, at: 2009/07/11 22:03

day 1 has come to close. played with him lots. he likes this little wheel toy with bell inside. He has not made any noise most of the day. then there was slight talking/yapping at around sundown. no kidding when people say its like taking care of 2yr old kid...lol but it was great! he wasn't eating much today but that could be associated with new environment? he is on a same diet as his previous home. stepping up command works 75% of times. when he is ready to step up he basically offers his feet. biting occurs about 24.9% of times. .1% ear biting, luckily i was not the recipient of that one. i have learned to lay off of him a little when he start to bite. few minutes he is ready to hop back on my hand.

his nails are super long... my arm is looking like i went for 12 rounds with a cat. lol I can't get that issue resolved until Monday. thinking about clipping the wings just for the time being until he is fully settled in. Not sure if this is normal but i found 1-2 inch long feather not sure if that is normal or he pulled them out. That was the only feather on the floor. he has no bald spots.

that sums up the day... a lot of lovin on the first day. i think one of my dog is little jelous... but she will adapt. On dayII i am hoping he will be little more vocal. comments/suggestions welcome! i am reading the forum and getting a lot of knowledge already.<br><br>Post edited by: mi4dub, at: 2009/07/12 04:50

Welcome mi4dub and Casper!!!

It's GreYt having you here. :-)

He is a fine looking CAG and it sounds like a very well socialized Grey from the description of all the activities that took place on the first day. MOst are much more reserved than that.

Thanks for posting the photos and looking forward to hearing much more about Casper and seeing more photos and videos. :-)

Jasper is absolutely beautiful!

It sounds as though he is settling in really well in his new home.

Please think long and hard about clipping! There are plenty of threads on here to read that will hopefully make your mind up. I would not recommend it, your bird is used to being flighted and you would have to wait a long time for those flights to grow back! I wont say anymore but read the past posts from all the members on here.

Congratulations on your new addition I look forward to hearing more about Jasper as he settles in his new home:)

Jasper is a very good looking grey and you came thru the first day with flying colors, time will tell more about his personality.

His nails should be fairly long and will be slightly sharp on the tip and they do scratch our arms but I would imagine with time he will ease up some on the pressure when he gets more used to you. Josey's nails are sharp also but she does not exert a lot of pressure on my arms and she scratches me a little but not enough to make it bleed, I call it just another day in the life of living with a grey, learn to live with it.

As you have only had him for a day or two he will become more vocal when he feels more at ease, greys are very slow to changes in their environment and going to a new home will take a little time for him to settle in and feel comfortable but when he does look out.

he is making little progress. i can get him out of the cage first thing in the morning but if he is playing on his stand, he don't want to be bothered. he is taking better to my gf at the moment. she learned not to wear an ear ring when holding him. lol it was pretty funny.

he is making little more noises each day so that's a progress.

one question, how much is he suppose to eat? i have seen him eat but at the end of the day it looks like the same amount is left on the bowl. do i leave the bowl full or just little bit? if i leave it full, do i change it out with fresh bowl everyday?