NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Introduction and question.

The intro topic was closed so I thought I'd make a new one. I've been around all kinds of birds my whole life. My mom was a bird breeder for 15 years, from scarlet and blue and gold macaws to finches. You name it we had it. She had an immense love for her birds, a love she passed on to me. Everything I know I learned from her. I began caring for the babies and handfeeding some of the larger species like greys, the macaws, amazons etc. When I was about 8 or 9. (very young) She slowly got out of breeding, I grew up and got married and preoccupied with life and grew apart from birds in general. About 2 years ago I decided I needed a bird in my life. I Brushed up on my knowledge a lot and learned a lot more, but I didn't know exactly what bird I wanted. I always loved my greys and macaws the best, but I knew I should start off smaller. After much thought I decided to adopt a sun conure. He's about a year and a half now and I love him to death. I wouldn't trade him for anything. If it's one thing he's taught me it's that my love for birds never diminished. I feel I haven't done a single thing wrong by him and vise virsa. But I needed a CAG. Awhile ago I did what I previously did and brushed up my knowledge on greys quite a bit. You guys have helped with that tremendously. Thank you. I contacted an old friend of my moms, who after the last 15 years has still continued to breed birds, and she just so happened to have baby greys that had just hatched on 6/10 11 and 12 2009. I am now the very soon to be, about a week, father of a baby girl CAG. I'm getting her at about 6 weeks. I have all the proper equipment, knowledge, skills, and dedication it takes to care for my baby so there's no need to worry about some idiot getting an unweaned baby and risking it's health and well being. I will always have these birds in my life and hopefully one day, one or two more. Well that's about it for my intro. Any questions about me or anything don't be afraid to ask. So for my question.... When I bring home my grey is there any risk of a disease, because of a lack of immune system on my greys part or for anyreason, being passed to my grey from my sun conure. They won't be around each other besides being in the same room and I always will wash my hands before feeding or handling my grey. My sun conure has never had any diseases or problems whatsoever. But I didn't know since they're from different parts of the world with different immunities to such. Also do you have any name ideas???? Thanks all of you for everything.

There's a member here named Judygram who has the same birds as you will have so she can fill you in on many things you wanna know about. You can go through the standard 30 day quarantine process after bringing the bird home but other than that, diseases shouldn't be a problem because all birds have immune systems to ordinary situations. Serious contagious diseases can effect all birds small or large, young or old, any species.Special immunities to certain things only develop in birds when they are actually living in the wild in their native land. Certain diseases that birds develop only develop when serious situations exist while in captivity. Go to the HEALTH ROOM here and you'll see everything about every disease. The only major thing you're gonna have to worry about here is personality--will they get along or not.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/11 04:17

Hi ricoarmenta,

Dave is spot on as always on quarantine.

Hopefully since your Grey will be around your Sun from a very young age he or she will accept him. Most Greys do not get along with other species very well. Greys flock only together. Other species such as Macaws, Conures ans Amazons flock with other species and are much more communal in nature.

I have a Conure and a Grey. The Grey absolutely hates my Conure, yet the conure continually tries to get close (cautiously) to do some socializing.

You just never know. It may or may not be a harmonious existence. If you leave them both flighted (Preferred) your conure wil always be able to get away from the Grey should an attack start to occur.