NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Warning! greys are expensive

Joolesgreyuk

It was about a year from when I seriously considered getting an african grey before I actually got one. In that year I read loads of stuff about caring for one, their behaviour, needs etc. By the time I had actually chosen my bird I considered myself "well read" on the subject. What has really surprised me however is that in order for your grey to have a heathy, happy and long life you have to spend a fair amount of money on it.

This is as much a warning to potential new owners as just an observation by myself and for anyone considering owning a grey, or any large(ish) parrot, please do not buy one if you are on a tight budget. Please don't get me wrong, I adore my feathered friend and enjoy spending my money on him but it has really surprised me just how much his things cost, "added extras" if you like that you just don't think about but things which help keep your parrot happy and healthy. It isn't just a case of bird, cage, toys and "seed". Please consider the other things you parrot will need such as: Possibly a lamp (for vit.D in winter - or even summer in the UK!) a properly balanced diet, Harrisons or similar (not cheap!) your bird will need vegetables, fruit & nuts daily (not cheap!) Things to keep his feathers and skin in tip top condition and to reduce the likelyhood of plucking, such as palm nuts and/or palm oil and aloe vera juice for spraying/misting. Enough toys to rotate fortinghtly or monthly. Foraging toys such as pinatas which have to be replaced regularly as they are destroyed. Millet sprays, treats etc. If you love your parrot you will want to give him these things! The most expensive thing of all is your precious time your parrot demands :laugh:

TBH I haven't a clue how some of the members on here manage with two or more parrots/birds especially those with children because Beau keeps me poor :laugh: but to anyone considering getting a parrot please think long and hard about the expense involved. I have had teils and budgies and TBH they are worlds apart from owning a parrot.

Thanks for taking the time to read my drivel peeps ;)

Oh yes, they are expensive.I spend far more on Charlie than I do on myself. One very important cost not mentioned is vet bills. Avian vet dont come cheap.I have insurance to cover the unexpected rush to the vets and am I glad I do.I cant stress enough the need for insurance.

This is a good realistic topic Jooles. :-)

One thing I must say though, is other critters are expensive to, if you take the proper care of them and provide them with the environment, toys, vet visits, diet etc. for them to thrive in.

I spend more on the upkeep of my Dobermans, than on my Parrots and when I maintained huge Aquariums, I spent tons of money maintaining them and the fish properly.

The point you are bringing up though is very important and most people do not give it a thought.

All "Pets" are expensive if properly taken care of and they can all damage your home, items contained with in it and the yard as well. :-)

Point taken Dan, we have had rabbits and hamsters in the past and compared to my grey they were very cheap to keep. A rabbit can live on a food mix supplimented by outside leaves of cabbage or lettuce and other vegetables disgarded whereas a parrot can only eat fruit and vegetables fit for human cunsumption and vet bills are neglagable for these type of pets. Cats and especially dogs must be equally as expensive as a parrot but with a parrot the expense doesn't match the size of the bird/animal.:laugh:

You're so right Jooles - I think nothing each weekend of treating Harvey to a new toy (or two) - it's regular that on a weekend I spend over £20 on toys alone. The kids don't get a look in any more ;)

Like you say - supplements etc are an expensive must - and expensive they are over here!!

Great post Jooles - I don't know how much CAGs are in the States - but as you know they cost a small fortune to purchase over here - so hopefully people have researched before handing over hundreds of pounds.

In all honesty, I will admit, I gave the money thing a thought, and while yes he does cost a quite a bit of my spare money, I still think my reptiles cost me more. They require all the heat lights, live food etc. I love Partner to death, and I also love spending all my money on him to make him happy. lol.

Very good post I have five and although it does cost allot to keep them and I do spend most of my money on them I find that my Greys are the most costly because of the food they waste my other birds don't go through nearly as much because they don't waste it. my Greys throw more pellets and seed mix out of their dishes into their poop at the bottom of their cages in three days than all the others eat in a month toys are rotated even though they are expensive allot of them I can make and they playgyms last a very long time. Vet bills can add up quickly especially if you have more than one sick at atime. The damage to my home is going to be quite the bill when I finally get around to it. I have 3 dogs also which are not even close to what I spend on my bird and that includes grooming for my Shih Tzu every 4 months at 50 dollars a time and 75 dollars twice a year for my Collie.I really do beleive that my Grey cost at least twice as much as any other parrot I own then my Amazon come in a close 2nd but only during the mating season when she want to nest. other than that she is happy to chew on her toys and play on her boing and other play areas around the house. in the summer time she likes to be outside in the outdoor cage and will whistle and talk to anything and anyone who will listen for hours. my neighbour just love to come by and listen to her sing and talk she has gained quite the audience its funny to see all our neighbours lined up at the fence talking to your parrotlol

I've become a Christmas Elf: I quickly realized I can make parrot-safe toys and perches with a little research and trips to the hardware and craft stores for pennies on the dollar.

PVC joints currently sell for about $0.25 each, and a 5 foot length of 1" PVC pipe is $1.50. I can make a pretty nice little play stand for about $5.00 in about half an hour.

Toys: buy leather cord from a craft store, child-safe natural blocks (or just buy some 1x4 and cut the blocks yourself) for dirt cheap. Non-dyed paper grocery sacks can be cut up or shredded for forage boxes. -> take some shredded paper, put some nuts or seeds in the middle for a surprise! Bind it with leather cord.

Just some things that have helped me save money. But make sure you use grey-safe materials (no dyes or chemicals) before you go buy goodies.

Hi Tango. Sounds like you have some great ideas for toys for our fids. You should post them in the Playstands & Toys Room. I also see that you are new to the forum. You should post in the Welcome & Introduction Room and tell us a little about yourself and your grey that way we can give you a proper welcome.

I agree! Greys are VERY expensive. You even have to consider the damaged items, for example cell phones, laptops, cords, etc. Thank god Ecko hasn't cost me too much on those items but he does cost a lot in food and toys! He loves to waste a lot of food too lol.

Hi Tango, I would also like to see your creative toys in the Homemade toys & playstands room. Hope to hear more about you and your grey in the welcome room too. ;)<br><br>Post edited by: caitb2007, at: 2009/07/09 16:45

I love spending money on the birds! Even if it's only on their food. Yesterday set me back a pretty penny, but that's because I couldn't resist getting "extra" goodies for Dixie since we've added Sterling to the flock. George & Gracie don't go through their toys at the same rate that the Grey & U2 do, but they also don't have the same needs.

As far as food goes, for the Pugs, I spend roughly $35.00 a month on their food, not counting their cookies (dog biscuits), rawhide bones, daily dental chews and this morning's annual vet visit will set me back close to $300 for the three of them. As far as the flock's food, we're using the same foods I normally buy for us humans, so I don't see much of an increase except for the dried fruit, pellets and seed mix (which is decreasing).

Are they expensive, only if you look at the money, are they priceless, absolutely, the peace, joy and lessons they are teaching me and my son couldn't be bought for any amount of money!

--

Robin, Paul, Dixie, Sterling, George & Gracie

PS - Dog vet visit was much more than anticipated! They are such loving creatures though! Coudln't live without them.<br><br>Post edited by: rbpittman, at: 2009/07/10 17:23