NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

DIY Rope Ladder

Okay, so this is the same Rope Ladder as my other thread, but decided since I'm trying to give you guys step-by-step instructions on how to make it, It would just be easier to make a separate thread.

Materials Needed:

2 - 5' long 1" diameter PVC Pipes (change diameter depending on the bird) $1.27 at Menards

16 - 1" Caps for PVC Piping about 43 cents a piece at Menards

4 - 1/4" Sisal Rope comes in 50' lengths (you can use any rope that is safe for birds) $2.08 at Menards

2 - Quick Links that I found at Wal-Mart for $2.87

4 - Vetrap (any color) found at Farm & Fleet in the Horse Section for about $2.67 a piece.

First take the two 5' long PVC pipes and mark them at every foot, and cut them to 1 foot lengths. There will be 2 pieces that will not be a foot long if you use a table saw. So there will be 8 - 1' long pipes

RopeLadder1.jpg

RopeLadder3.jpg

Put the caps on the 8 1' sections...

RopeLadder4.jpg

Now, take the sisal rope (or any rope that's bird safe) and wrap them around the pipes. 1 roll of the sisal rope I used will only wrap 3 of the tubes if you do it right. So 3 rolls of the sisal rope is required to wrap all 8 sections.

RopeLadder5.jpg

RopeLadder5.jpg

After that, I used a drill press to drill 5/16" holes through the caps and pipe (same time). I did it free hand so the holes were pretty good but not exact.

RopeLadder7.jpg

RopeLadder8.jpg

After that, I put the Vetrap around the ends and poked holes in it so it would be easier to get the rope through later.

RopeLadder9.jpg

RopeLadder11.jpg

Now that all that is done, here comes the interesting part. You have to get the rope through the holes. I measured them at about 8" between each of the ropes. As a tip, try wrapping electrical tape around the end of the rope to act as a "needle" to thread it through and then just cut of the electrical tape when complete. Make sure you are tying knots as you go because it is really annoying to have to re-thread it.

RopeLadder13.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

After finishing the threading and knotting, make sure to leave about a foot at both ends of the ladder to tie on the quick links.

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0658.jpg

Now you just have to find somewhere to put it. Which is the most interesting parts. It can be used as a ladder or if you would like to hang up both ends and make a bridge out of it.

DSC_0662.jpg

DSC_0663.jpg

Thanks guys.

I had to trick partner on to it. I had to put my hand through it, have him step up on that hand, than pull my other hand away and hold a treat in front of him so the only way to get it was to step on the ladder. When he got up there I pulled my other hand away and gave him the treat. He looked so cute on there.

Stay tuned for further DIY or ideas for things like this, I have a lot of Ideas in my head now, I just need to figure out the materials that I will need.

Well, I've been thinking. I need some extra money right now, so I am thinking about making hand made bird toys and selling them on ebay. I can get the stuff very easily and from all the great comments of encouragement and praise on this one, I think I could probably do really well with it.

It is still a thought in process. Would anyone want to buy one of my creations if I started doing it? lol

-Nick-

I may change the design just a bit to better suit African Grey's. The design I have would be better for larger birds. I may take the one inch PVC and cut it down to 1/4". Just for a better fit. And possibly going with a smaller size rope for a tighter fit. Maybe move the rungs of the ladder closer together as well to make it easier for them to climb up and down.

Any input?

• 1 month later...

The ladder is really creative. I love the colors. How did you get the sisal to stick to the PVC? Did you use a glue of some kind? When I look at the pic of Partner on the ladder, I have to agree with you, take the 1" PVC and cut it down to 1/4". I really love it. I will take one!

That is so cool you did an awesome job and i love that you include the step by step instructions. I never know if i should or not. I am making this and i am doing it as a bridge since i have 6 birds and want them all to enjoy it. Thank you so much for such a wonderful idea.

Partner316 wrote:

Well, I've been thinking. I need some extra money right now, so I am thinking about making hand made bird toys and selling them on ebay. I can get the stuff very easily and from all the great comments of encouragement and praise on this one, I think I could probably do really well with it.

It is still a thought in process. Would anyone want to buy one of my creations if I started doing it? lol

-Nick-

I hate to burst your bubble on the ebay thing but i make a lot of toys and each and every time i listed on ebay it did not sell. I have been thinking the same way you are since i have a son going to college and really could use some extra income but ebay just does not work anymore i have tried 3 different times each time with great new toy ideas and have yet to sell one item. So you are out on the items and the listing fees. Please do not base your final disc ion on what i say i just thought i would let you know how it went for me. Good luck let us know which way you go and i will do the same.

It was my pleasure to leave the step by step. I figure it will lighten the cost of stuff on all you guys, and to show what a little time can do.

I used a hot glue gun to glue it, but used it very sparingly to avoid any conflict with them ingesting it.<br><br>Post edited by: caitb2007, at: 2009/08/18 14:11

Partner316 wrote:

Okay, so this is the same Rope Ladder as my other thread, but decided since I'm trying to give you guys step-by-step instructions on how to make it, It would just be easier to make a separate thread.

Materials Needed:

2 - 5' long 1" diameter PVC Pipes (change diameter depending on the bird) $1.27 at Menards

16 - 1" Caps for PVC Piping about 43 cents a piece at Menards

4 - 1/4" Sisal Rope comes in 50' lengths (you can use any rope that is safe for birds) $2.08 at Menards

2 - Quick Links that I found at Wal-Mart for $2.87

4 - Vetrap (any color) found at Farm & Fleet in the Horse Section for about $2.67 a piece.

First take the two 5' long PVC pipes and mark them at every foot, and cut them to 1 foot lengths. There will be 2 pieces that will not be a foot long if you use a table saw. So there will be 8 - 1' long pipes

RopeLadder1.jpg

RopeLadder3.jpg

Put the caps on the 8 1' sections...

RopeLadder4.jpg

Now, take the sisal rope (or any rope that's bird safe) and wrap them around the pipes. 1 roll of the sisal rope I used will only wrap 3 of the tubes if you do it right. So 3 rolls of the sisal rope is required to wrap all 8 sections.

RopeLadder5.jpg

RopeLadder5.jpg

After that, I used a drill press to drill 5/16" holes through the caps and pipe (same time). I did it free hand so the holes were pretty good but not exact.

RopeLadder7.jpg

RopeLadder8.jpg

After that, I put the Vetrap around the ends and poked holes in it so it would be easier to get the rope through later.

RopeLadder9.jpg

RopeLadder11.jpg

Now that all that is done, here comes the interesting part. You have to get the rope through the holes. I measured them at about 8" between each of the ropes. As a tip, try wrapping electrical tape around the end of the rope to act as a "needle" to thread it through and then just cut of the electrical tape when complete. Make sure you are tying knots as you go because it is really annoying to have to re-thread it.

RopeLadder13.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

After finishing the threading and knotting, make sure to leave about a foot at both ends of the ladder to tie on the quick links.

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0658.jpg

Now you just have to find somewhere to put it. Which is the most interesting parts. It can be used as a ladder or if you would like to hang up both ends and make a bridge out of it.

DSC_0662.jpg

DSC_0663.jpg

Hi Partner316

Just wanted to tell you what a great job you did. I'm going to try this but on a smaller scale! Thanks for the great idea!!!!